We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banana Bay Resort

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johnstown, PA
reviews: 1
Banana Bay Resort

Anyone have any pros/cons of this place? My fiance and I are planning to be married there in April and I wanted to get some opinions before I actually put the money down....

arkansas
1. Re: Banana Bay Resort

I'd hold off on putting money down. The Banana Bay Resort in Marathon gets pretty good reviews, but the one in Key West doesn't. It's located in New Town on Roosevelt Blvd. in the midst of strip malls and fast-food joints. For transportation, you'd have to rely on the Bone Island Shuttle (which closes at 11 pm each night) or rent bikes or mopeds - neither which would be particularly safe on such a busy thoroughfare.

If you stay in Old Town, you'll be within walking distance of sunset celebrations, tourist activities and restaurants. I'd strongly advise you to look further. You might try keywestinns.com for suggestions, but I'm sure everyone who reads this board would be happy to help you find something in a better location.

Johnstown, PA
2. Re: Banana Bay Resort

Thanks for the thought. I've never been to the Keys so I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

What I'm looking for is a nice, INEXPENSIVE (about the same rates as Banana Bay). I'd love to have a half decent view of the beach, etc.

Any suggestions?

pa
reviews: 6
3. Re: Banana Bay Resort

we had reservations at banana bay and canceled them.we are staying at the islander resort.i talked to the chamber of comerce today and she told me thats a great chooice,they have a romance package.you can get married there too.check into it.shannon takes care of the packes there.hope this helps.good luck.

arkansas
4. Re: Banana Bay Resort

deb - Islander Resort? I may be mistaken, but I don't think there's an Islander Resort in Key West. There's one in Islamorada (a couple of hours north of Key West)...is that the one you're thinking of?

kltoth - I'm still trying to figure out someplace you might like, but am having a little trouble. I'm afraid you may have to give up the water view for a good Old Town location. The water views in Key West are usually either on Roosevelt Blvd, where the Banana Bay is, or on the Gulf, where prices are really high.

I'll keep looking...

arkansas
5. Re: Banana Bay Resort

One other thing...is there any chance you could go in May rather than in April? Winter season rates normally go off the first of May and prices can drop dramatically.

Johnstown, PA
6. Re: Banana Bay Resort

Susan... thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it! Its kinda hard for someone who's never been there to find a half decent place to stay (especially a cheap one). All the brochures make it look beautiful, and each resort/hotel wont tell you about the downfall.

About moving the date, that's not gonna be a possibility. The vacation requests were already submitted and approved and a "reception" has been scheduled for home on our return.

I've recently stumbled across the Nausau (sp) house. It looks beautiful. Any ideas what this place offers?

pa
reviews: 6
7. Re: Banana Bay Resort

thats where we are staying.in islamorada.

Vermont
reviews: 2
8. Re: Banana Bay Resort

We're staying at Ocean Pointe in Taverier (a bit more north). I have never been but the place looks ok - ok reviews. Also, the winter (expensive) rate ends on April 2 and the cheap rates start on April 3 - which is why we are going then. Price is almost cut in half. Just a thought. Congrats on getting married!

arkansas
9. Re: Banana Bay Resort

kltoth - Here are a couple of places that seem to be in your price range (or at least have some rooms that're in your price range). I haven't stayed in any of these but have seen good recommendations of them all and they're in good locations.

The whole thing about the Nassau House is a mystery to me.

I've seen the rave reviews it gets on this website but really have never heard of it either while I was in Key West or from people I know who live there.

The Mermaid and the Alligator (check out the Sun Room) http://www.kwmermaid.com/rooms.htm

Southernmost Point Guest House

http://www.southernmostpoint.com/rooms.htm

The Palm Court (check out the Guest Suite)

http://www.keywestpalmcourt.com/

The Center Court Cottages (check out rooms 3 and 4)

http://www.centercourtkw.com/innrooms3-4.htm

NJ
reviews: 5
10. Re: Banana Bay Resort

I stayed at the Banana Bay about 7 years ago. The rooms were beautiful and the grounds were great, but old town is better. I got married in the Keys a few months ago as well, and had a beach wedding at the Wyndham Casa Marina. The grounds there are unmatched. If you want to be on the water, you could try The Casa Marina, the Hilton, Hyatt, Ocean Key or Pier House. However, the B & B's are usually nicer and half the price. The place I have stayed for the last 4 years is Ambrosia Too. I just can't say enough about it. Check it out, and good luck.