We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know the beaches aren't great but....

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
westbrook, maine
reviews: 1
I know the beaches aren't great but....

Okay - I know from a previous visit AND from reading this forum that the beaches aren't that great in Key West and we AREN'T going to KW for the beaches...we have a lot of other things planned to do BUT...

We are bringing our 4 year old and in addition to the pool and all of the other activities I have planned I thought a day at a beach would be fun for her and us.

We have beach shoes so her feet won't get scratched up on the corral. We live in Maine (rocky beaches with lots of climbing around on rocks with barnacles looking for crabs...etc...we are used to this). Anyway - Which beach should we go to and what is the best way to get there? Which beach should we absolutely avoid?

We are staying at Island City House so we will be close to Fort Jefferson but is this a beach where you can rent a chair or two and just hang out?

We are also planning a trip up to Bahai Honda but I've read some posts that said that this beach wasn't that great either and I'm wondering whether it is worth the drive or whether we should do something else instead.

Thanks in advance.

The Netherlands...
reviews: 14
11. Re: I know the beaches aren't great but....

Our favourite beach is Duval Beach. It is a small beach, but we can walk it from our B&B. You’ll find everything you need. Palm trees, a ‘cabana boy’, beach chairs and tables and of course Duval Beach Club (for breakfast, lunch, diner or a nice frozen cocktail). It’s easy, close and has a laid back atmosphere. The link below show you pictures of Duval Beach.

Duval Beach

members.virtualtourist.com/m/8395d/ba504/

Norfolk, Virginia
reviews: 8
12. Re: I know the beaches aren't great but....

Ft Zach is the only beach on the island that will not have seaweed and has clean water. It has a constant current that keeps the water moving. It just feels "fresher". It also has a concesion stand with food and drink and I *think* it now has beach chair rental. I could be very wrong on that comment however. BUT, CVS at Truman and SImonton always has cheap beach chairs for under 10 bucks. And considering the cost of renting chairs this could be a better value if you go to the beach more than one day. The beach is rocky coral. So you WILL NEED water shoes. It also has the historic fort that is fun to check out.

Bahia Honda is a wonderful beach. Very long and you can do the "walk down the beach" thing. It's also very peaceful since it is located in a national park. In my opinion it is well worth the drive. You can also walk out in the water up to a few hundred feet in some areas (with water up to your knees) which might be an appeal for a child. It has a gulf side and an ocean side. There is also a concession stand with food and drink.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
13. Re: I know the beaches aren't great but....

There is a new beach / towel boy at the Pier House who has gotten hold of a Security T-shirt and really takes his job seriously. He asked me three times if I was staying at the hotel and waht my room number was. He tossed off two people who had just walked onto the beach to take a look at the ocean.

But he is also good at his beach boy job. Each morning when he saw me he would bring over a couple of towels and a table and chair and set me up.

Pjk