We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KW book recommendation

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 2
KW book recommendation

I just finished reading "Turtle in Paradise," which I picked up at Voltaire on our visit in early April. Although it looks a bit like a children's book, and in fact the author, Jennifer Holm, has written a number of books for young adults, don't dismiss it for that reason. This short book (just 177 pages) takes place in Key West during the Depression and is written from the point of view of a young, scrappy girl who is new to the island -- but, more importantly, the story is warm, charming, and actually quite funny. For a quick read, with lots of fun Key West references, you can't go wrong!

Edited: 6:13 pm, May 02, 2011
115 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
1. Re: KW book recommendation

Tracey-

Thanks for the book 411. I'm currently reading one of the Alex Rutlidge (Character ) novels. I enjoy mysteries and cloak & dagger type stuff so these are perfect for me and are set in KW and the other keys. You probably already have read these but if you have not, give them a try.

P.S You've taken some great pictures and great descriptions.I,m assuming you've been down to Bone Isle a few times. You should consider writing your own little book. How did you get hooked on KW anyway ??

NYC
reviews: 2
2. Re: KW book recommendation

Hey Racso,

We first visited KW in 1999 with another couple for Millennium -- I'd heard it was fun so I booked it. I initially liked the island, but I wasn't infected with Keys Disease right away -- we didn't make it back down again until 6 years later! But then we discovered biking, and the pleasures of the island away from Duval St., and, as our jobs got progressively busier and more demanding, we found that we loved the flight schedules from NYC - we can be in KW before noon and don't usually depart on our last day until 7pm, so it's like getting a few "free" days in there! We also love how small the island is -- it's the only place I've ever visited where I don't feel this insane pressure to see EVERYTHING -- you can pretty much see it all in one trip, and then relax after that!

How about you - love at first sight??

Key West, Florida
3. Re: KW book recommendation

Thank you for passing on the recommendation! :)

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: KW book recommendation

Well, we only have been once back in 2009 in June and I'm itching to go back. Second week in Nov ( 4 my b-day ) did not work because we're trying to also check out the Full Moon Party on Isla Morada (Purple Island) and its on Thursday. October is out because my son's b-day is on the 11th. So it looks like the 2nd week of December for us.

The first time was nice but too darn humid ! KW reminded me a lot of New Orleans (which I have been 4 times ) but with an island tropical flare. We drove(from FLL) because I wanted to see the other keys. Very nice drive. We did not get to explore as much as we wanted but I loved the vibe so we are planning a return trip to see sites and restaurants/bars we missed.We will most likely will drive the A1A again.Can't wait !!

Michigan
reviews: 31
5. Re: KW book recommendation

I read Turtle in Paradise, actually got it for free from Amazon Vine. It was a very cute book! Definitely would recommend it for kids, but I enjoyed it too.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
6. Re: KW book recommendation

Key West Tales by John Hersey. And people might be interested in a new work of fiction called The Paris Wife.

Pjk

East Hampton...
reviews: 156
7. Re: KW book recommendation

Fern Michaels' latest book SOUTHERN COMFORT takes place mainly in "Mango Key" ,but one of the main characters stays in Southernmost Point Guest House. I enjoyed 'revisiting' The Keys via the book.

Holly Springs...
8. Re: KW book recommendation

I read "Sand Dollar" by Jane Louise Newhagen last June when I was in Key West. It takes place in KW in the mid-1800's. I could not put it down and it was a perfect read while sitting by the pool.

Warren, Ohio
reviews: 8
9. Re: KW book recommendation

Thanks for the book tips! I love to read...anything...

The Bone Island Trilogy..a 3 series set by Heather Graham all take place in KW... Great beach reads!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
10. Re: KW book recommendation

I had forgotten about The Cypress House, a novel...

"Arlen Wagner, the glum hero of this noir thriller, has a terrible gift: he can tell when someone is going to die. This peculiar talent kicks in on the last day of August, 1935, when he and a young friend in the Civilian Conservation Corps are on a train headed from Alabama to the Florida Keys, where a giant highway bridge is under construction. After seeing wisps of smoke drifting from the skeletal eye sockets of his fellow passengers, Arlen persuades his friend to leave the train, but the others complete the trip to Key West, where they perish in an epic hurricane that claims a thousand lives." etc.

Creepy

Pjk

Reply to: KW book recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key West