We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the keys? Suggestions please

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California/Florida
Honeymoon in the keys? Suggestions please

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are considering the Keys for our honeymoon desistination. Any suggestions on which key, then which hotel?

We are looking for a relaxing hotel/resort where we can lie on the beach some days, do fun activites on others, get good food and have a fun time at night!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :-)

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
1. Re: Honeymoon in the keys? Suggestions please

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

Where to stay, where to stay . . . How long are you going to be in the Keys? How ofte do you want to pack up and move? It seems like every 30 miles or so from Key Largo to Key West has a different personality.

Key Largo has its diving, and is a popular destination. I don't go there, so I'm not much help.

Islamorada is famous for fishing and diving, has many poular destinations. I've found several spots to eat that every car I rent seems to get sucked into. Islamorada Fish Market and Lor-e-Lie to name 2.

Marathon is probably the more "quiet" of the major keys. We own a home there and love it.

And Key West is - well Key West. As they say this is where the outragous personalities turn professional.

If it were me, (and we did get married and honeymoon in KW), I'd go there, party, eat, relax, find some adventures, relax, eat, drink, party, relax, eat, find some more adventures, SCUBA, fish, tour the island, and so on.

Not necessarily in that order.

As far as where to stay, there are as many spots to choose from as your budget will allow. We stayed at the Galleon when we got married. LOVED IT. They have a pool, very small beach, Tiki Bar by the pool, it is close to Duvall, and the Marina.

There are many B&B's to choose from. I've not stayed at any of them because most of our trips to KW are day trips.

What to do? Tour the island on the trolley. Rent scooters and tour the island on your own. Stop in the cemetary and pay your respects. Go to Mallory square for the sunset festival. Tour the Key West Lighthouse, KW aquarium, Smathers Beach is a nice place to hang out. Walk up and down Duval, seek out a spot to people watch.

I think that if you tried, you could get all that in on your honeymoon, but then, you are on your honeymoon . . .

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 1
2. Re: Honeymoon in the keys? Suggestions please

Congrats! I don't know if you've already planned your honeymoon by now - so I'll tell you what I found. I too am getting married (June 05) and after many many MANY hours of research, I've decided to split our time between Key West and another location in Florida. There's a ferry, Key West Shuttle, that travels between Fort Meyers and Key West daily so that's a plus to cut down on transportation costs. Also, Key West isn't known for the beaches (the beaches there are mostly man-made) but the snorkeling is amazing! If you're looking to relax on the beach, you can try Fort Lauderdale or Naples (The Registry Resort) or Marco Island. A B&B I just booked in Key West is called Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages. It's ranked 12 out of all the B&B's in Key West. They have really awesome rooms, some with their own hot tub and hammock (honeymoon suite and others). If you don't like that, there's the Heron House (which I almost booked). Though, it seems like each one of the B&B's are full of amenities, like afternoon happy hours and breakfast. Plus they're all walking distance to Duval Street. I was there this past July, and I have to bring my fiance there - it's a street full of bars and music and tons of entertainment. Good luck!