We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lee's Summit...
reviews: 21
What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

We will be driving from Homestead, FL to Key West. Althogh the drive is only 2 1/2 hours we will have about 6 or 7 hours to do the drive. So with that in mind what are some cool quick stops we can make or great view to see on our trip down to Key West. I know you all will have some great ideas because you always do!!

Thanks

Scomar

Athens, Tennessee
reviews: 38
1. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c9313/Key-West… This is an extensive list. Have fun!

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 72
2. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

First, the travel time really depends a great deal on traffic. Best to plan 3-4 hours instead of 2 1/2 hours. The reality of it all, especially if it is your first time, is that there are any number of places to get pretty good eats along the way but more than that, stop every once and a while and just get out to enjoy the keys. There is nothing that is overwhelmingly "touristy", unless you count the dolphin swim spot along the way! If you take 6-7 hours I have no earthly idea how you will spend your time unless you stop for a looooong swim! KW is the draw, except for the fishermen/women who will put in a million places to fish! Enjoy it and just relax. Park the car and walk, walk, walk. KW is a walk or scooter town. Relax..you're in Key West! ps - Van Horn a million years ago!

united kingdom
reviews: 17
3. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

"Robbies" just over the bridge in islamorada.

We were there yesterday morning on our drive down to KW and have to say that at $1 entrance fee it must be the best bargain in florida.

theres hundreds of them hanging about to be fed and they jump right out the water if your brave enough to danggle a fish for them.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
4. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

Robbie's, hands down.

Keystone Heights...
reviews: 4
5. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

We drove from Key Largo to Key West, last Sunday, and it took us about 6 hours. We stopped ALOT. But it was our first time, and we wanted to enjoy all the sites.

Other than Robbie's, you can try to find the Key Deer on Big Pine. We saw many of them. They walk right up to you in your car, so be careful.

Becky

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 5
6. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

So many things... And so much depends on what you like and your personality.... I personally try to never miss The Caribbean Club in Key Largo... Just a great throw back to the old bars (and i do mean bar, bot bar restaurant) of the day.

Best advice for this is really to keep your eyes open and stop at wherever at whatever looks interesting! This is one of the few destinations in the world where the drive getting there is really just as fun as the destination.

Have a great time!

Queens, NY
7. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

Robbie's is a fun place to stop. If you really want to spend some time, stop at Bahia Honda State Park.

South Florida...
reviews: 48
8. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

Robbies and the Key Deer but I think the drive itself is the coolest thing to see.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
9. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

hansboomer said "If you take 6-7 hours I have no earthly idea how you will spend your time unless you stop for a looooong swim! KW is the draw, except for the fishermen/women who will put in a million places to fish!"

I beg to differ. There are plenty of spots to stop and smell the calamari. The best trip I had took 6 hours to get from MIA to Marathon. We has a gas (and my passengers were gassed).

Key West is a draw, but PLEASE let the journey be as big a part of your trip as the destination.

Start with "Robert is Here" in Florida City. Have a smoothie, grab some fruits and veggies, some key lime honey, and get back on the road.

Stop in at Alabama Jacks for some of the best conch fritters you will ever have.

Hog Heaven for same great food on a relaxing spot on the water - or maybe Wahoos or Lazy Days or . . .

Maybe a swim at Annes Beach.

Robbies was already mentioned. BUT if its the weekend they have a mini art fair and tents with stuff for sale.

Want to shop? How about Lattitude 25 or World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada, maybe Fish Lips or Keybana in Key Colony Beach (while you're in KCB, have a bite to eat at Sparky's). Maybe Goofy Gecko in Marathon.

Take a bi plane ride (did this last time down and it was SMOOTH and fun).

Walk the old 7 mile bridge, look for tarpon, or turtles, or porposes, or . . .

Stop by Bahia Honda for a swim.

Drive into Big Pine Key and stop in the Blue Hole drive around and look for Key Deer, maybe an order of nachos (that will feed an army) at No Name Pub.

Look for the Bat Tower (OK kind of cheesy but what the hell).

How about Boondocks for a game of mini golf and a cold glass of water (ya right - water).

Stop at Mangrove Mamas for some buffalo conch.

This is just a short list of things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Still think that Key West is "THE (only) DRAW?"

Nope - I htink you should embrace the drive. I promise there will be cold Coronas and maragritas and rum there whenever you get to Key West.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
10. Re: What are the coolest things to see driving to Key West?

Yesterday we stopped at Bahia Hondo Park for a swim/snorkel - very nice.

http://www.bahiahondapark.com/