We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TN
reviews: 1
What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Hi, This probably sounds like a silly question, But I tend to be always bringing more clothes than my family needs, and have been known to forget something important we need for the area we're traveling too. This is a long road trip for us, TN to Key West and we're driving all the way. Two adults and two teenagers. When we get there, I sure don't want to go out looking for someting I forgot...again! I know it will be hot and humid..but how hot? First time there any suggestions would be great..Thanks!

Summerland Key...
1. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Think sauna. Temps in the high 80s to mid-90s, 80 to 90 percent humidity, water temp about 85, with possibility of rain every day. (Although not as likely here as elsewhere in Florida.) The main difference between a Florida summer and a summer in your neck of the woods is that it does not cool off much -- if at all -- at night.

I usually plan on at least two sets of clothes per day. (You'll get sweaty, salty and wet ��� sometimes all three at once ��� and that gets old after eight hours or so.)

Here's what you must have:

Light, quick-drying shorts and shirts

Comfortable sandals (you'll do a lot of walking)

Very good deodorant. :)

Hats and sunglasses and very good sunscreen

Bug spray

Maybe a poncho if you really hate getting wet, but frankly it feels good after a day in the sun, and a hat will keep your head dry.

At least three swimsuits (they won't dry overnight)

If you're really sun sensitive, a rash shirt or one of those shirts the fishermen wear (do they have a name?)

A light layer so you don't freeze at night in Florida's excessively air-conditioned buildings (KW isn't as bad as a lot of places).

KW is a very casual place, so you can go pretty much anywhere in shorts, T-shirt and sandals. If you're planning something dressier, a sundress for women and nice shorts and a tropical shirt for men will work most places.

Bristol, Rhode...
reviews: 3
2. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Yup Islandkitty sumned it up to a T...

Collingswood, NJ
3. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

I'm kind of curious as to the name of the "fisherman shirt" can anyone elaborate. I was curious about that as well, and comtemplating bringing one as well. thanks kitty for the advice ;)

San Francisco...
reviews: 4
4. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Island Kittys posting was enlightening. I'm going the end of this month for five nights. I'll be there over the Memorial Day weekend. I sure hope I can fit enough stuff in a single (big) suitcase, especially if I'll need to change twice a day!

Summerland Key...
5. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

That's the beauty of it, StockCerts -- lots of thin and short clothes don't take up much space! I don''t always wear all the clothes I pack, but one fruity beverage slosh and I'm a sticky mess all day, so I like to be prepared. :)

Summerland Key...
6. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

Fisherman's shirt: www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/

horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0030074&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=

cat400018&parentId=cat400018&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat390001

It dries fast, keeps you cool and protects you from the sun when you're on the water.

San Francisco...
reviews: 4
7. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

IslandKitty,

Can I buy you a fruity beverage when I'm in Key West this month? I promise not to spill! <grin>

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
8. Re: What to Pack for early July In Key West..First Visit

OR -

A highly recommended buffetGAL stop (meaning if I don't want to sleep on the couch, I stop) is the Islamorada Fish Market. MM 82ish . . .

Next door is the World Wide Sportsman.

If you can't find a shirt (t-shirt, dress shirt, fishing shirt), pants(dress, casual, and fishing), shorts, charts, lures, rods, reels, line, candy, pie mix, hats, shoes, coolers, flags, sunglasses, sunscreen, anything related to the water and the keys, at the World Wide Sportsman, it isn't made or it isn't important.

In fact when we are down there over Memorial Day, I am guessing we'll stop a couple of times. The lively buffetgal will be getting me some great stuff for my birthday - she just doesn't know it yet ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Key West