We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military Bases etc.... Snorkeling..Dolphins.....

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Military Bases etc.... Snorkeling..Dolphins.....

Hi all,

I was born at Boca Chica Naval Base in 1958, is it still there???

Can we civilians get on the base and see where I was born, Is the hospital still there? I know we lived on the base, for a short time and we also lived at

1117 Watson Street.. Is it still there?? (we left before I was a year old....and I've never been back) will be visiting 5/18 for a week.

I have multiple sclerosis (not wheel chair bound)and asthma would I be able to snorkel?? Never tried it before.....How is it done, what supplies are needed.....

Just finished chemo/radiation treatments in Jan. for cancer......will sea lice bother me???? don't want to get any infections.......

Thanks for any help

Elgin, Illinois
reviews: 8
1. Re: Military Bases etc.... Snorkeling..Dolphins.....

I have asmtha and have been snorkeling quite a few times. Just make sure your inhaler is available on the boat. I am not sure about the MS, but if you can get around on land, water shouldn't be a problem.

On piece of advice, let whomever is taking you out or renting the equipment know of your conditions. That way they can help you out, and keep an eye on you if any problems should arise.

Summerland Key...
2. Re: Military Bases etc.... Snorkeling..Dolphins.....

Boca Chica is most definitely still there. I'm sure the Navy is used to having people request access since this is a regular vacation spot for current and former military folk, but I don't know if a non-vet would be allowed on base. It would be worth a call to ask. I assume the hospital has been repurposed, since the Naval hospital is now in Key West.

I couldn't find a listing for your former home on the property appraiser's Web site, but I suspect it's still there. The houses in that neighborhood are being remodeled into condos, but they still look like the cool houses of old from the outside.

If you could get a waterproof container for your inhaler snorkeling might not be a problem. (Unless it's choppy enough that you'd have trouble keeping your head above water if needed.) I wouldn't think the MS would be an issue at all. If you have trouble swimming -- floating, really -- you can wear a vest.

I've yet to hear anyone complain about sea lice, but it was too windy for us to snorkel over the weekend so I could find out for myself. Whoever you snorkel with should be able to tell you if they're an issue.