We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats happening the 4th of July? Downtown how safe?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TN
reviews: 1
Whats happening the 4th of July? Downtown how safe?

Will arrive the 4th of July for our first time to the Keys, traveling with our two teenage kids. Any big celebrations, or fireworks? And also I would like to know if Duval St. and the downtown area is safe in the late evening,,I know all places have crime,but is there anything a unknowing tourist should be aware of. Thanks.

Saint Louis...
1. Re: Whats happening the 4th of July? Downtown how safe?

It will be as safe as anything in TN - "downtown/Duval" is 'the' tourist area. I've been out at all hours of day & night & wee hours and never a problem.

Sorry don't know about their celebrations this year, try checking here www.keywest.com.

Relax - have fun and don't worry!

Summerland Key...
2. Re: Whats happening the 4th of July? Downtown how safe?

No worries about safety. Just take minimal tourist precautions, like not letting cash hang out of your back pockets, and watch out for bicycles and scooters. The only caveat I'd offers that the number of drunk people on Duval can be a little disconcerting for the sober, particularly late at night on weekends.

You can check out fla-keys.com for a calendar. There are fireworks all over the Keys, but I don't recall if there's something special going on.

Keep in mind that traffic will be really bad that weekend, as it is most holidays.