We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage restrictions on flights????

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saugerties, NY
reviews: 1
luggage restrictions on flights????

We are flying dirctly into Key West from Atlanta on a CRJ-700 jet. My brotherinlaw is scaring the heck out of my sister by telling her there are serious luggage restrictions and she has to pack extra light. Is this true? I have to say that he will probably be the one with the heavy suitcase, because he tends to wait til the last minute to pack and then overpacks. Any info would be appreciated, everyone here has been a tremendous help, Thanks.

Midwest
reviews: 11
1. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Just call the airline. They can give you the info. you need.

Franklin, TN
2. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Twinzmom

When you find out the info from the airline please post it. We are flying on Delta from Atlanta to Key West and it is a small plane too. I will be on my honeymoon so I know I could get crazy on the over packing. Thanks!

Wilson, NC
3. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

We just flew on Delta from Atlanta to KW week of 4/26(We got married also!) and there were NO lugguage restrictions.

Saint Louis...
4. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Pack light because you just don't need it!! The atmosphere is VERY CASUAL & LAID BACK. Some shorts & tops, swimsuit, a nice sundress/skirt/shorts for a nice evening dinner and that's about it. Flipflops are the rule. Y'all are going there to relax, so start by not having to carry your whole wardrobe with you.

We flew on American and they mentioned being very careful about weight also - so try to leave as much behind as possible. Besides this is still the USA, they have CVS, Walgreens & even WalMart!!!!

Have fun!!

Maine
reviews: 41
5. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

There are no restrictions on any flights into Key West that don't apply everywhere else. It could be that a carry-on might have to be stowed under if you're in a real little plane, but no worries. Be sure to have one carry-on bag, however - luggage can have a tendancy to not arrive with you if you had transfers. Although, we recently had a nightmare travel day down there with flight changes/cancellations/even a change in carrier mid-trip, and our luggage somehow made it.

Saugerties, NY
6. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Ok I checked into it and found that flights into Key West, Fl do have restrictions with checked baggage. They specifically state Key West... Each person is allowed 1 checked baggage weighing up to 50 pounds. Normally you are permitted 2. Got this on Delta's website.

falls church va
7. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Just to build on this a little more I would strongly recommend carrying a tooth brush/paste possible underwear,shorts and a shirt on your carry on.Last year my wife and I flew on US airways (for the 1st and last time) and did not receive our luggage for 3 days after we arrived.They said that the plane was overloaded and put out luggage on another plane and proceded to loose them.

Summerland Key...
8. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

I do have to correct one thing... while we are indeed part of the United States -- begrudgingly, some days -- we do NOT have a Wal-Mart. God willing, we never will.

Thanks for the baggage weight info -- my dad's coming down, and I'll have to warn him to limit his gear. :)

Definitely do pack light. The emphasis should be on light, airy and quick-drying clothing, which comes in handy both on the water and in our rather sticky climate. You also might want to pack extra swimsuits, because it's unlikely that one will dry completely overnight. If you're really sensitive to the sun, you may want to have a light long-sleeved shirt if you're going to go out on the water. Don't forget a hat of some kind, and don't skip on the sunscreen!

While flip-flops are perfectly acceptable footwear, I usually opt for a comfy and sturdy pair of Tevas because we walk a lot.

More advice than you probably need, but forewarned is forearmed!

Johnstown, PA
9. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Back on the luggage thing.... especially to Keys Bride:

My husband and I were just married down there a few weeks ago. One thing I wasnt aware of is that you need to put all of your film on your CARRY ON. the screening process for checked luggage will expose the film.

800 speed film and disposable cameras need to go through security SEPARATELY. they cant even go through they're little screening process. they need they're own little bowl, handed right to the airport employee to examine.

we didnt know that.... had we not been told prior, all of our wedding film would have been ruined.

Franklin, TN
10. Re: luggage restrictions on flights????

Kltoth

Thanks for the advice! I wonder does the screening process mess up digital cameras also? We'll have one of those with us also.