We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving down from Kissimmee

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Folkestone, United...
reviews: 5
Driving down from Kissimmee

Hi Good people,

WE wi;; be initially staying in Kissimmee and have booked a weekend at the Nassau House, Key West half way through our two week holiday.

I was going to drive straight down from Kissimmee to Key West but thought about staying overnight in Naples, at say a

"Days Inn" or something like that in order to break up the journey. What do you think and can you offer any advice on a place to stay and eat in Naples for the one night. We can do

cheap or expensive as long as the quality is reasonable.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
1. Re: Driving down from Kissimmee

If you're headed to the keys throught Naples, you're taking the long way there.

If it were me, I'd jump on the toll road and head on into Miami and stay a night in South Beach I'd guess that Miami is about 1/2 way to Key West from Kissimmee.

There are a ton of places to stay in South Beach. Look for places on Ocean Drive. This is the art deco district, and the "hot spot" for that area.

Orlando, FL
2. Re: Driving down from Kissimmee

I'm not discouraging you from going to Naples and there are some things you might want to consider if you do, if you haven't already.

Key West is about a 7-8 hour (380 miles) drive from Kissimmee under the best of traffic conditions and using the Florida Turnpike which is the most direct route.

No matter which route you take, be advised that vehicle traffic from around Miami going south is horrendous from late morning on, on Fridays, as people drive down to the Keys. The reverse is true on Sundays and early on Mondays as people return from the Keys.

However, I suggest you look at a map and you will see that if you go to Naples from Kissimmee, you'll go west on I-4 and then south on I-75 down the FL west coast.

To get to the Key West from Naples, you'll then have to drive back east across the state and then go south..this is almost a 5-6 hour drive in itself under the best of traffic conditions.

Naples to Key West is about 240 miles.

Florida is a big state and many who visit do not realize this.

Good luck!

malaga spain
reviews: 4
3. Re: Driving down from Kissimmee

why dont you check out the low cost carriers, southwest airlines, jet blue, i recently checked for fortlaurderdale to orlando and it was very reasonable

Amber

Weeki Wachee, Fl.
reviews: 3
4. Re: Driving down from Kissimmee

Skip the route to Naples- tour the west coast of Fla. another day. As everyone has said that goes too far out of your way.

Take the turnpike south and stay in South Beach area or Ft. Lauderdale area. Even stop for the night in the upper Keys area and then go south. I am booked at Nassau House last week in May. Have a great time-Aloha

London
reviews: 7
5. Re: Driving down from Kissimmee

Hey, as has already been pointed out - Naples is the long way round to key west.

If you do plan on staying there, there is a cute place called Lemon Tree Inn which is reasonable and very quaint and a there is a reasonably priced resturant with great food! called Pippins a bit further down the road.

We drove home to Kissimmee from Key West (The direct route - and it took us 8hrs with hardly any stops)

Perhaps you might look at staying in Key Largo which is quite nice. (That will cut about 3 1/2 hrs off your journey).

We stayed at Holiday Inn Key Largo which was nice and ate in Sundowners across the road(ish), which has great seafood and you can watch the sun go down over Florida.