We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been... trying to plan! Advice?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Never been... trying to plan! Advice?

Hey all!

So, we have been talking about heading to Key West for years... and it's finally coming to fruition?! The kiddos are going with Grams and Gramps... and off we go. In preplanning, thought that I would pop on here. Timing is the first question. Looking for peace and solitude. Hence, best time to come?

Obviously, we avoid Fantasy Fest. Is there another time of the year that draws tourists in hoards? Is there a time of the year that tends to be "slow time" in Key West? If so, most desirable for us!

In addition, looking for a romantic hotel on the water with a fabulous view. Not as much into being close to the nightlife (trust me, we'll find it). Just a fabulous hotel where we can relax, enjoy the ocean view & breeze, and find relaxation and solitude. Not opposed to being on another Key. We want isolated paradise. Even a private bungalow or cabin would be amazing. Anyone have a suggestion?

Also, if we fly into Miami. How far is the drive from the airport to KeyWest?

Detroit
11. Re: Never been... trying to plan! Advice?

kltoth - Do you have any pictures of the banana bay resort you could email me? The website does not show much. Also, are the beds comfortable? Thanks for any help.....my email address is jbos_phd@yahoo.com

Johnstown, PA
reviews: 1
12. Re: Never been... trying to plan! Advice?

sorry for bombarding you jboz.. im just stumbling across these questions now..

the beds are okay. they're king size (huge to me). my husband is a very picky sleeper and he slept good in them. I slept pretty good in them as well. Besides.. after a few too many Key Lime Pie Cocktails, I could sleep on the floor and not know the difference. :-)

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 4
13. Re: Never been... trying to plan! Advice?

Steve & Carrie: You mentioned your concern about "tourists in hoards." Unfortunately, since several large cruise ships now dock here daily, Key West is inundated with thousands of t-shirt-buying tourists shopping on Duval St. It's no longer the quiet, isolated paradise you visualize. Hemingway would not be pleased. As other posters suggested, I too would fly into Fort Lauderdale Int'l--Miami Int'l is difficult to get in and out of. Also: On your drive down, much of the drive is along a single-lane highway. Be careful of sudden stops. Traffic is usually heavy.