We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elgin, Illinois
reviews: 8
Newbie to Key West

I am going to be in Key West in early June. This is my forst trip, and I am greatly looking forward to it. My fiancee and I are going to be married there and I have a couple of questions.

First off, I know that there are two public beaches, Smathers and Zachary Taylor Beach. Is topless sunbathing allowed at both, and which would be my best bet to not offend anyone who may be a wee bit prudish?

Also, I know about the top of La Concha, Duval Street, Mallory Scuare and sunset celebration, but what else is not to miss.

Any information anyone can give would be great.

Orlando, FL
1. Re: Newbie to Key West

Don't miss having a Key Lime Pie 'drinky-drink' or 12 at

Sloppy Joe's.

Also, to get you started, click on 'Attractions' in the 'Browse' sidebar to the left.

Other useful web sites:

www.Keywest.com

www.FlaKeys.com

Sorry, can't help you with your beach question but others will, I'm sure. In any event, even though Key West is pretty liberal, I suggest using discretion as I'm sure you will.

arkansas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Newbie to Key West

Topless sunbathing isn't allowed at any public beach (I think there are 6 or 7) in Key West. Whether you may see it - or not - is another subject.

Vancouver
3. Re: Newbie to Key West

I was at South Beach , which is at the south end of Duval and I did notice there was a few topless people hanging around, and like the other post Key West is a, anything goes ,place so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a topless enviroment.

There are so many things to do , that it's tough doing everything , but I would recommend going out and enjoying the coral reef , whether it's snorkeling or scuba diving, there is so much to see and there are litterally dozens of dive shops ready to take you out for the day, and if your lucky you might even get to swim with the curious turtles inhabiting the reefs around Key West.

Detroit
4. Re: Newbie to Key West

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Hotel? If so, is it reccommended for a romantic couple? I know you not suppossed to, but where is the best place to make love on the beach? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
5. Re: Newbie to Key West

j boz, It sounds like you're looking for more of a 'beach' vacation than what you're going to find in Key West. If you're envisioning miles of beautiful beaches with some quiet and private coves, you best be looking for a different island. Key West really isn't about the beaches, it's about the hard to describe, funky, tropical ambiance. I love Key West dearly, but when I have a yen for a beach vacation, I head elsewhere.

Detroit
6. Re: Newbie to Key West

Where are some good romantic beaches or getaways in FLorida?

MA
reviews: 15
7. Re: Newbie to Key West

When I was at the Duval Beach Club I noticed several topless woman each time.

Saint Louis...
8. Re: Newbie to Key West

There is a small beach at Pier House that is set aside just for that so no problem.

arkansas
reviews: 1
9. Re: Newbie to Key West

Sorry if this posts twice, but I've had a little problem with my computer today.

About the Pier House beach: though it's top-optional, they would NOT welcome "romance." Their beach is adjacent to their two restaurants.

New York
reviews: 62
10. Re: Newbie to Key West

Open: I consider a sunset booze cruise a must for any visit to KW. KW is blessed with several two masted schooners that go out every evening. This might be your only chance to go sailing on a tall ship. The Appledore, Western Union and the America are three of the most popular, but there are others. Some go north during the summer, but I'm sure you you'll find one when you are down there. (As far as topless sunbathing is concerned, check out Atlantic Shore resort or the Garden of Eden outdoor bar. Both have clothing optional options).