We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seahorses near Key Largo?!

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond
Seahorses near Key Largo?!

I just read something on TripAdvisor (under Day Tripping from Key Largo) that mentions something about pygmy seahorses!

I have tried to a long time to see seahorses in the natural habitat. Has anyone actually seen them while snorkeling? Any tips?

I don't care if they're pygmy or regular seahorses, but I would surely love to see this.

I'm staying on Key Largo, specifically on the bay side right across from the Everglades area. I'll have a car and would certainly drive to experience this lifelong dream, so any suggestions are welcome.

THANKS

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
1. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

When snorkeling, look for Sargassum grass (Google for images) both floating and not - lightly shake it over your hand out of the water. You'll likely get several very small shrimp, maybe a very small fish and sometimes a seahorse. Usually the seahorses are clinging to something with their tails. They blend in incredibly well making them hard to see while just swimming along. And then kindly shake the little creatures back into their grass house. The most we see them is when fishing, they like to grab onto our line.

Richmond
2. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

Oh man you are the BEST! Thanks so much for the advice. I'll do what you suggested about the grass shaking business! I thought they would be pretty much invisible with their perfect camo.

It's my birthday "week" and that would certainly be a memorable way to celebrate.

Thanks again!

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
3. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

I was snorkeling in the shallows, over some sea grass, at Island Bay Resort on Tavernier, bayside. This was in May.

Snorkeling in the shallows is great because you can see so many things, even if they are smaller than what you see out at the reef.

I noticed something on a blade of sea grass and knew instantly that it was a tiny sea horse. I gave it a little nudge and it swam away. I managed to get a photo, which has its reflection from the surface of the water, I think. It's a weird photo, but proof is proof.

…photobucket.com/albums/…839_zps2bbd8746.jpg

I then cupped the seahorse in my hand and brought it back down into the seagrass. When I released it it swam directly to a blade of grass and wrapped its little tail around it!

Richmond
4. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

Well frankly that is one of the neatest things I've ever seen or heard, Orion! That picture is amazing and artistic.

I've done load of snorkeling all over the Caribbean and Latin America, but I just didn't think about where to look for seahorses. I'm going to be snorkeling in those grasses fershure! Even if I have to rent a wetsuit to not freeze to death. I'm going next week and know it will be kind of chilly, but that's my vacation "goal".

Key West, Florida
reviews: 2
5. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

Very very cool shot Orion! Thanks for sharing!

Los Angeles
6. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

there have been so many cool things I've seen in the water off the Keys.

Like the night I was enjoying a glass of wine and a cigar at night, out at the end of a pier, and saw a crab... swimming on the surface, like it was a fish!

I was too amazed to remember to whip out my camera!

Good luck and keep your eyes open because you never know what you'll see in those waters!

Broken Arrow...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

My husband and I saw the most amazing thing in the water off Islamorada last year.

In a protected little bay at night, we saw little green glowing worms shoot up to the surface of the water only to have another run into it. The first worm would swirl this pretty green trail. This is what I up with as to what we saw>

experiencebermuda.com/sightseeing/flashdance…

Richmond
8. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

These posts just get better and better! I'm now going out and looking for seahorses and glowing worms when I get to Key Largo! I have indeed seen crabs swimming along the surface. In fact one swam right to my net as I was crabbing once. Poor thing.

I've read about the glowing worms before and read that this peaks 3 days after the full moon. I had no idea you could see this in the Keys. Unfortunately we'll be gone that exact day, but will STILL look for them before then. That would really be cool to see.

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Los Angeles
9. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

at the beach at J. Pennekamp I took a photo of what I think might be some kind of tube worm. It had these long, string-like feelers that moved back towards the center when I touched them! This was in May and these were all over in the shallow beach areas.

I searched online and couldn't figure out if I was right about it being some kind of worm.

Any ideas?

…photobucket.com/albums/…75_zpse9d076ab.jpg

Richmond
10. Re: Seahorses near Key Largo?!

I don't know for sure, but really acts and looks like some kind of tube worm like you said. Is it the bright blue tubey thing in the photo ?

Get answers to your questions about Key Largo