We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calusa Campground Key Largo

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LucyintheSky12
reviews: 36
Calusa Campground Key Largo

I have been thinking of staying in an individual house on this property if it becomes available & was wondering if this is safe, clean & gated? We would like to try somewhere in the keys, but prices are high & we are afraid that the reasonable prices in this resort will turn out to be "you get what you pay for." Will this turn into a spring break hangout for yahoos in March? We are looking for all of Feb & 1/2 of March. All info welcome.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Key Largo
reviews: 17
1. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

I would be cautious. Is it a house or a trailer? What is the condition on the inside? I am not familiar with Calusa in the past five years or so, but before that it was just a campground for trailers and RV's. I think it would be ok as far as parties except maybe some on the weekend, not so much college kids as week-enders from Miami.

I am more familiar with Key Largo Kampground across US 1 from Calusa. There are trailers to rent by the month there also, and some are fine, but some I would not wish on my worse enemy.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
reviews: 121
2. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

I am also not familiar with the housing situation since they rezoned about 5 years ago. I know two couples who lived there and when the zoning changes took place, they put their homes on the market, saying they "needed to get out of there." They said it is "unlivable" on the weekend when the Miami crowd comes down.

Edited: 5:57 am, November 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
reviews: 16
3. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Calusa is a wonderfully kept and managed camp ground. It is gated and patrolled by security 24/7. We love the cleanliness, the immaculate pool and grounds. It is typically Cuban so expect music and loud discussions.

We'll go back

Tamarac, Florida
4. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Ithi is a basically a trailer park...if I were you I would not stay there.. The people are extremely rude, the place is dirty and there is nothing to do unless you have a boat AND they will try to charge your CC with unauthorized charges months after you leave there.....it's an awful awful aplace

Edited: 8:30 pm, May 10, 2013
5. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Love the park! Very kid friendly ambience. The park is very well maintained, compared to other parks in the Florida Keys. The staff at the office are very polite, and greatly helpful on assistance with your reservations. We love coming to Calusa Campground to watch the gorgeous sunset from the pool. We further love the location, large chain grocery store across the street. Large retail department store across as well. We recommend Calusa Campground for a place and time of relaxation!

6. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Love the park! Very kid friendly ambience. The park is very well maintained, compared to other parks in the Florida Keys. The staff at the office are very polite, and greatly helpful on assistance with your reservations. We love coming to Calusa Campground to watch the gorgeous sunset from the pool. We further love the location, large chain grocery store across the street. Large retail department store across as well. We recommend Calusa Campground for a place and time of relaxation!

Key Largo
7. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

I repeat....I would be very cautious......

Ontario Canada
8. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

A large percentage of member owners are Cuban and Cubans love their loud music whether it be week ends or holidays. It is safe, secure and well staffed with security. You will love the cleanliness and the pool but bring earplugs. They have two volumes.. Loud and Much louder

9. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Ontario Canada
10. Re: Calusa Campground Key Largo

Well, I have to retract my previous, positive review of Calusa Camp. We went back for the 4th time this year (2014) and were dismayed by the way it is now being run. It is condominium now and that means that security and rules are minimal. Late, late partying and noise, kids and I mean kids run on golf carts till after 1 a.m. and the site we rented this year for our RV was filthy. No one cleans them before you move in. Complaints are completely ignored. The only internet access is at the office despite what they claim. What a shame to have such a lovely place go to hell like this. We left early.

Reply to: Calusa Campground Key Largo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo