We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ironton, Ohio
reviews: 8
First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

My wife and I have driven ourselves crazy researching this trip and need advise from people who have experience. We are going to Key Largo Sept. 24 for 4 nights and are wanting to scuba dive a couple times and just generally relax. We are looking for a place to stay that has a beach, some type of local night life (i.e. tiki bars, crab shacks, local entertainment) within walking distance or a very short drive. We are currently looking at the Hampton Inn Key Largo or the Hilton Key Largo Resort. Can you offer any advice on which would be the best place to stay between the two for a young couple? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
reviews: 121
1. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

At the Hilton, you would need a car & would have to drive everywhere unless you just hung out at the resort. Great bay views & a man made beach. They do have a parking fee (insane for Key Largo) and a resort fee, so keep that in mind.

The Hampton is also Bayside and you could walk to a couple places across US1. Definitely, the drive is shorter. They are in between the dolphin center & the Upper Keys Government Center. The govt center has a nice grassy park and gazebo on the water. Nice quiet spot to take a lunch. The hotel has a small tiki hut bar. Have not eaten there in a couple years, so cannot rate the food/drink.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
2. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

From your description, I'd pick the Hampton Inn.

Check out the Carribean Club one night - total dive bar but greatlive music. The first set starts around 1030.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 81
3. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

Key Largo is pretty spread out, but most everything is within a 5 to 10 min drive. Make sure you take a drive down to the 7-mile bridge while in the keys. Bahia Honda park is on the southern end and has the largest beach in the keys. Nice day trip, explore Marathon and Islamorda on the way.

Lafayette, LA
reviews: 11
4. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

I highly recommend Rainbow Reef Dive Center for your diving needs. We have been diving with them for years and they are a very reputable, safe dive operation. We always take advantage of their package deals for lodging and diving. They can get you some great lodging discounts at some nice places located strategically around the marina in Key Largo. There are lots of fun things to do around that area. We love Coconuts Restaurant and always visit Sharkey's for a great burger. We have so much fun strolling around the marina looking at the yachts!

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 92
5. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

I have stayed at both and I would definitely pick the Hampton over the Hilton (nothing wrong with it - it's nice) but the Hampton is nicer, quieter and in a better location for diving / swimming and local night life. You can walk across the road to the Paradise pub - it's a locals - no frills place but we were made welcome. If you fancy a bit more action I would cab to Snappers and try the outside bar at the rear (turtle club) - on the water - live music and food in the restaurant if you want it. If you want a bar and a sunset (Caribbean club) has been mentioned - but I would run up to Sundowners - if you don't want a meal there grab a seat at the bar, or pop next door to the Bar at cactus Jacks - again lots of locals - always make you welcome. There is a Tiki bar at the Hampton but it's quiet and closes early - the cabs are very good and neither place above will break the bank - they are close by.

Ironton, Ohio
reviews: 8
6. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

Great Advise from everyone. We appreciate it. We decided to go with the Hampton Inn for our stay, Scuba Do Dive company & for all you divers out there i got a new GoPro Hero 2 HD camera today with the dive housing & backscatter flip filter so we can get some great photo/video of our trip. i will post some with my reviews later this month. Thank you to everyone for the input!!!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 81
7. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

Make sure you drive down to the 7-mile bridge during your stay. Bahia Honda Park is on the south side if you want a larger beach to explore. The Pigeon Key tour out to the island in the middle is historical and interesting. Its a nice day trip.

8. Re: First time to Key Largo-HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo