We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N.Ireland
reviews: 17
From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

Hi, as part of our holiday in florida my boyfriend and i are travelling from key largo to clearwater beach and as this seems to be a pretty long journey we intend to stop off somewhere in between for a night. Can you recommend a good place to stop off please? We are in our late 20's and are sticking to a budget! Thanks :)

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
1. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

It will be only a 6.5 - 7 hour drive. Some places along the way are Naples, Ft. Myers, Sanibel Island, and Anna Maria Island.

But, Naples is about half way, and only a 3.5 hour drive to Clearwater Beach.

So, depending on your exact plans, it is easily driven in one day, which will not require paying for a hotel for the night.

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

If you're on a budget the trip can actually be done without stopping. It will be less than 7 hours - even with personal stops along the way.

But if you must stop overnight, once you get on I-75 at the Ft. Myers area (about 3 hours from Key Largo) you will find any number of hotels, from budget to mid price, right off each exit on I-75. How long do you want to drive before stopping?

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
3. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

Mark, you beat me to it. Great minds think alike. LOL.

winnipeg
reviews: 22
4. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

We are doing the exact same trip and are stopping to spend one night in Sanibel Island at Tarpon Tale, it looks really nice and is not very expensive. When are you travelling? We are going at the end of June.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 77
5. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

I echo what others said.

I'd say Naples is a good bet for good value/budget accommodation. There are some good value chain hotels/motels just off the I75 - PM me if you want any particular recommendations for places we've stayed at. Not sure when you are going but summer/autumn is low season in Naples/Ft. Myers - prices are higher in winter time.

Do you want to see any of Naples or Ft Myers? Naples pier may be an option, then go for a drink/meal along 5th Ave, though most places around there are relatively up market.

I'd suggest that you take the US41 Tamiami trail through the Everglades NP and Big Cypress section (Miami area to Naples) - use Krome Avenue (997) from Homestead. This isn't to save the tolls (which it does) but to make it a more scenic/interesting drive without really adding much time to the journey.

N.Ireland
reviews: 17
6. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. I travel mid july for 2 weeks and cant wait! Il be taking a print out of your comments with me to help with my route plan, thanks again :)

7. Re: From Key Largo to Clearwater Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo