We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
reviews: 2
Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

When we're out swimming and snorkeling - where is the best place to keep car keys and valuables (wallet/credit cards, etc.)? Are the hotel safes actually "safe"? Is there something the dive shops sell to carry this stuff in when swimming/snorkeling? Just curious what everyone else does! Thanks!

Key West, Florida
reviews: 11
1. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

I suggest leaving your valuables in the hotel safe. They are usually free, & they have a main safe with several small mini safes behind the front desk, where you have to sign in & out each time you go into your safe, & possibly show I.D., so they are sure it's you!

Some room safes are quite good & secure; others are cheap, & more than one department of staff may have access to them, so I wouldn't suggest using them. I would ask.

Ask the front desk supervisor, or email them prior to arrival so you can plan ahead!

There are small plastic cases you can use & wear while in the water, but I think it's better to leave these things in a more secure & dry place!

Have fun!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 14
2. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

IN the Keys, there isn't much you would be doing away from your hotel where you wouldn't have a car nearby. So locking stuff in the car is one option.

Most snorkelling is done from a boat. There's should be a dry area on the boat if you want to take something.

If you mean the hotel pool, I use the hotel safe in my room. Never had a problem with that.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 2
3. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

When packing from home, we throw in a few zip-lock bags. That way, if you want to take a credit card, room key card, and a few dollars of cash, into the water with you, put your valuables into a zip-lock bag. If your suit doesn't have a pocket that closes up, use a larger quart size zip-lock bag and put holes in it at the top above the zip part. Then lace through the holes and tie it on your suit somewhere.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
4. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

There are some products out there made to carry valuables in the water. They are not made to hold much, some bills and a key maybe. We hide a lot on our car and just carry the key when out on a charter/dive boat. They do usually have an place on the boat to put your things, it's out in the open, but ok for keys etc.

I use Travelpro brand luggage. Lots of good hidden places in their products to hide rings, credit cards etc.

NY/NJ
reviews: 3
5. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

We use a waterproof box when we snorkel. The one we bought is called Otterbox (they have a website) but there are many other brands as well.

6. Re: Where to keep valuables when snorkeling/swimming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo