We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first week of may

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
reviews: 1
first week of may

we are planning a family vacation to Florida first week of may. My husband thinks Amelia island sounds perfect. We have been having a brutally cold in Canada and i just want to soak up the sub and swim in the ocean. Will the first week in May be warm enough do you think? Wondering if we should head further south

5 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 70
1. Re: first week of may

Define "warm". Are you planning on try to swin in the ocean?

ottawa
2. Re: first week of may

I will swim in the ocean a long as the air temperature its at least 80. We go to Maine every summer so i am used to cold oceans!

ottawa
3. Re: first week of may

I will swim in the ocean a long as the air temperature its at least 80. We go to Maine every summer so i am used to cold oceans!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 116
4. Re: first week of may

Be aware that the AI Shrimp Festival is May 2-4 which is a good thing in terms of a major fine arts/crafts event in the Southeast that is a lot of fun, but it will mean the island will be quite crowded and busy that week. As far as ocean temperature, early May will likely see surf temperatures in the mid-70s. Air temperature at that time of the year can vary of course, but historical average high is right about the 80o F. mark. As an alternative, the City of Fernandina Beach pool at its main recreation center is heated to 83o.

Enjoy your visit.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 140
5. Re: first week of may

We were there that week in 2013. We wore shorts and short sleeves every day, but it was too cold to get in the ocean. And we didn't see a single person try it. But if you are used to Maine waters, it may not be an issue for you.

Reply to: first week of may
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted