We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World
reviews: 54
Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

My wife will be attending a professional conference until 12- or 1-ish, and my 10-year-old daughter and I are along for the trip. Between the pools and beach and restaurants, do you think we'll need to rent a car? We're not golf or tennis folks, so that won't be an onsite draw for us.

Are there better beaches to explore (for shells or whatnot)? Or anything else within a relatively short drive (30 minutes or less) that we'd want to check out?

I don't want to rent a car and then have it sit unused for 3 days, but I also don't want to be trapped and bored. Any advice??? THANKS!

Amelia Island
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island
1. Re: Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

You will probably appreciate having a car. There is much to see and do at the resort but there is so much more to see and do away from the resort. You'll want to come into the Historic District of Fernandina, where you'll find many independent shops, restaurants, tours and sights. You can also spend some time at Ft. Clinch, a state park that encompasses thousands of acres on the northern end of the island. The beaches there have some of the best shelling. Your family will probably love one of the many boat tours offered by Amelia River Cruises. Have fun.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 90
2. Re: Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

AIK about covered it all and you might want to see some of the other message threads about rental cars. I heartly encourage people to have a car to explore all the Island and surrounding area has to offer. Not sure what your shelling expectations are, but you will find that AI doesn't have the high quality shells that you would find at Captiva/Sanibel on the Gulf Coast. BUT, what the beaches of AI, especially towards the northern end of the Island up by Fort Clinch is lots of petrified shark's teeth that are millions of years old. While most you will find will be about the size of your fingernail, you might get lucky and find larger ones that can be made into necklace pendants and such. Some of the shops in town have displays of shark's teeth that have been found on the beaches.

For a "different" beach experience, drive down to Big Talbot Island State Park which is right across the bridge on the south end of the island. Think there is a $3 parking fee, but take the short trail through the maritime forest and out onto the beach. Walk back south (to your right as you face the water) and you will see quiet an impressive sight.

One other side trip I recommend is to take the Fort George Island loop tour including stops at Kingsley Plantation and the Ribault Club. You can download a tour guide narrative at floridastateparks.org/fortgeorgeisland/doc/a…

Enjoy your visit

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World
reviews: 54
3. Re: Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

Thank you both for your help. We returned from Amelia Island a few days ago, and I'm so glad you guided me towards renting a car! We didn't entire far, but we drove to Fort Clinch State Park as well as the downtown area. The car was also a godsend when our daughter got an ear infection and we needed to get to CVS.

Again, thanks for your help!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 90
4. Re: Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for your daughter's illness but hope you enjoyed your visit nevertheless.

5. Re: Staying at Omni 3 nights -- will I need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 11, 2014