We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
reviews: 14
Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

Hello,

I am planning a 3-4 night getaway in mid April for me and my daughter, who is 10. The priority is enjoying the beach after a long New England winter. I have narrowed down our destinations to either Amelia Island or Longboat Key near Sarasota. Thoughts? We want to stay right on the beach too. Thinking of the Ritz Calrton Amelia Island or the Longboat Key Club Resort.. I have a feeling there is no bad decision to be made here, but wanted to get some local opinions about the feel of both places.

Thank you!

Boston...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

If it is mid April I would pick Longboat Key just because it would be warmer. Amelia Island is a lot further north.

I hear you about this winter... It is officially spring and snow still in the forecast for Monday. Get away and enjoy!

Orlando
reviews: 2
2. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

Amelia is just south of the Georgia Line. I remember mostly rental units in that area and a nice beach. The water will still likely be chilly in April.

Longboat Key has several high rise buildings. If I were going to do Sarasota, I would pick Lido Key. That is just my choice though. The Gulf coast in the Sarasota area will be nice, but will not have the waves like on the Atlantic.

massachusetts
3. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

Thank you for your replies. Water temp is really a consideration. Maybe the Gulf coast makes more sense. Amelia Island seems more serene, though. Hmmm. What is Lido Key like as opposed to Longboat? How about Sesta Key? The whole high rise scene is not that appealing but I have heard that its a quiet time of year and maybe my impression of high rise clustered hotels is not really accurate? Thank you!

Orlando
reviews: 2
4. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

To get a feel, try the satellite view on Google Maps and zoom to street level. To look at Lido, start at the Holiday Inn and move south along Ben Franklin.

Edited: 8:19 am, March 25, 2013
Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 88
5. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

As much as I think you would enjoy your overall experience on AI better, since water activities are a prime factor, the south FL Gulf waters will definately be more enjoyable the middle of next month. Having visited the Naples - Sarasota area a number of times, I think you will find quite a different experience. Not necessarily bad as each location has it own range of attractions for young and old - just different.

Enjoy your stay and please write a report post-visit.

massachusetts
6. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

Thank you all again! The warmer water temperatures nudged us towards the Gulf so we just booked at the Longboat Key Beach Club Resort. We will make it to Amelia Island one of these days! :-)

Fort Wayne...
7. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

I have been to both- just got back from Amelia Island last week. I think Longboat Key/Lido Beach area is better for this time of year. The weather, while we did have a few nice days, is more likely to be warm the entire time in Longboat Key. I recommend heading to the shops in St. Armands Circle while you are there. Don't leave Amelia Island out of your vacation spots, though! we can't wait to return sometime during the summer. Had good meals everywhere, great waves and want to rent bicycles next time in Ft. Clinch park.

Fort Wayne...
8. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

I have been to both- just got back from Amelia Island last week. I think Longboat Key/Lido Beach area is better for this time of year. The weather, while we did have a few nice days, is more likely to be warm the entire time in Longboat Key. I recommend heading to the shops in St. Armands Circle while you are there. Don't leave Amelia Island out of your vacation spots, though! we can't wait to return sometime during the summer. Had good meals everywhere, great waves and want to rent bicycles next time in Ft. Clinch park.

9. Re: Amelia Island vs. Longboat Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 12, 2014