We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a1a highway

Which Jacksonville Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Goshen, New York
reviews: 3
a1a highway

Are you allowed to bike along side the traffic on A1A?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
1. Re: a1a highway

Allowed, yes, but there's no bike lanes. I'd suggest using 1st or 2nd Streets. Jacksonville Beach's side streets were bike friendly even back 20 years ago.

Goshen, New York
2. Re: a1a highway

good..i was hoping you would say that..they are not as busy as A1A, right?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
3. Re: a1a highway

Very much so. Also narrower, slower. Did you do the other query about biking? Jax Beach is a nice area, and of course if your bike has fairly big tires, the beach is is fine.

Goshen, New York
4. Re: a1a highway

I will be biking on the beach, just thought I might be missing out of some interesting things if I stick to just the beach..say shops and restaurants, etc....

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
5. Re: a1a highway

Jax Beach was a likable area even back when it had a Blighted Zone (vicinity of the Red Cross building and Casa Monica). West of A1A, the original Beach United Methodist Church buildings, constructed of coquina rock, are interesting. They're hiding behind the big newer facilities (the sanctuary building was designed by a rather distinguished local architect, William Miller, who also built a unique beach house in Atlantic Beach. It looks like two big eyes peering from under a grass mound. South of 19th Street. He did various other Atlantic Beach houses.

Goshen, New York
6. Re: a1a highway

I'm excited to look at all the different types of beach houses..I've been to a few beaches (L.B.I.-jersey, Cocoa Beach, Clearwater, Hilton Head, drove the Pacific Coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego, etc.) and am interested to see how they compare..also, I love the different style of shops and surf areas..so different from NY.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
7. Re: a1a highway

Found this great web page on Modernist houses. Miller was big on mounds.

www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/wmorgan.htm

The Red Cross Volunteer Lifeguard building on the beach (at the end of Beach Blvd) is a local landmark.

Southern Atlantic Beach has several big old mansions on the beach. Style is probably fairly NY-New England.

More recent construction is, unfortunately, mostly stucco-Tuscan.

Cocoa Beach, back during the Mercury to Apollo era, turned its back on the beach, with the Sheraton actually being on the inland side of A1A. The most interesting building from the era, the Glass Bank, is in bad shape and probably not long for this world. San Diego is cool. Salk Institute is directly above the famous Blacks surfing site. So do any of their brilliant scientists surf?

The Jacksonville beaches are unpretentious. Jacksonville Beach fell into a slump in the 1960s when whites shunned the newly desegregated beach. That led to the now-vanished Blighted Area. St. Augustine was the scene of a big civil rights campaign in 1964 that has left behind several historic markers, a county park named for a local civil rights leader, and for many years, lots of hard feelings.

Several Florida surfboard shapers sell their boards on Long Island. For example, Chris Birch and Rich Price, both of Brevard County, Florida.

Goshen, New York
8. Re: a1a highway

Wow..you know your stuff!!

St. Augustine might be an area I might take a day trip to. Just got their travel/vacation guide today!!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
9. Re: a1a highway

St. Augustine was developed by Henry Flagler, who for a while stopped his railroad at St. Augustine, where he built hotels (some of the first poured-concrete buildings in the US), at least 2 churches, remodelled the Cathedral after a fire....

The railroad eventually ran to Palm Beach and Key West, and St. Augustine faded.

Some locals are Minorcans, descendants of Mediterranean people imported during the British period to grow plantation crops. It was a fiasco, but descendants are still around.

10. Re: a1a highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, July 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville Beach