We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing Our Plans

Which Indian Rocks Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coopersburg...
reviews: 7
Finalizing Our Plans

My 2 adult daughters and I are heading to Indian Rocks Beach at the end of July and are finalizing our plans. I have a few questions:

1.We are flying into Tampa - on the off chance we can check into our condo early, is there a nice grocery store somewhere between Tampa and IRB? If we can't check in early, is there a large grocery store near IRB?

2. We are considering either a trip to Honeymoon Island/Caledesi Island or Shell Key Shuttle for shell gathering - other suggestions we should think about?

3. We will have a car so can go almost anywhere. We will be "eating in" a few nights but looking for suggestions for dinners out. We like John's Pass but are looking for other suggestions in the IRB area or in any area that we can hit with the $2.00 shuttle (i.e, St. Pete's Beach). We are a mix of seafood and landlubbers but really love the ability to eat "water side" as we are from PA and don't have that opportunity very often.

4. We love the beach (and the sand between our toes) so don't need much entertainment but if there is something in the area that is not to be missed (historical, cultural, etc.) please let me know.

5. Finally, we are big country music fans - any bars in the area (or accessible via the $2.00 shuttle) anyone can suggest?

Many thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 83
1. Re: Finalizing Our Plans

1. Will you have a car? There are lots of large grocery stores on the way to IRB from the airport. If you take Gulf to Bay at Clearwater, you will find several grocery stores. Publix is our favorite and there is a large one on Gulf to Bay.

Close to IRB is a Publix at 857 West Bay Dr. in Largo. From Clearwater take US 19N. Turn R at East Bay. Follow that road - it becomes West Bay - follow it straight to 857 West Bay. There is another Publix if you keep following that road, but it isn't as large and the produce and bakery selection is not as good. To get to IRB, turn left, follow West Bay over the bridge, and turn left onto Gulf Blvd., and follow it to IRB.

2. I haven't been to Shell Key. Honeymoon Island has good shelling. If you go to the north end of the island, there are large mounds of shells. There are many small shells here - if you dig through the mounds you will find many different ones. If you walk a bit north, there are larger shells in the water - so you might want to take water shoes. Make sure you take a bag or bucket to collect your shells in - and make sure there are no living animals in the shells - that is illegal.

3. Good restaurants in the area include:

Guppies - for good seafood

Villa Galace - very good Italian

Lighthouse Donuts - very good donuts, good breakfast and lunch sandwiches. They close very early - time changes - but was 3 during the winter.

Slice Pizza

Keegan's - popular for seafood

Salt Rock Grill - lovely upscale restaurant. Pricey menu - but if you go early they have an early bird two for $25.00 menu. Call ahead for reservations and time early bird menu is offeted - and to make sure they still offer it.

4. If you go to Honeymoon Island - you will be very close to Tarpon Springs - a nice little Greek village and spinge dock. There are many little shops, Greek Restaurants, bakeries, and sponge docks - a fun place to spend half a day, and eat at a Greek restaurant. You might want to spend half a day and half a day at Honeymoon Island. http://www.spongedocks.mobi/

Clearwater Beach has many fun things to do. If you have seen the movie The Dolphin Tale - the star of the show is at the Clearwater Beach Aquarium. seewinter.com/visit-winter/visitor-informati…

There is a nightly celebration at Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach with street performers and artisans - nice way to spend an evening. http://www.sunsethttp://www.clearwater-fl.com/gov/depts/marine_aviation/ma_facilities/Marina/pdf/Marina_Tenant_Websites.pdfsatpier60.com/

At the Clearwater Marina - many things to do. You could take a dolphin cruise, dinner cruise, fishing trip, rent wave runners or parasail. clearwater-fl.com/gov/depts/marine_aviation/…

5. Sorry - I don't know of any country music bars.

I'm sure I've missed many things - but there is so much to do in the area. Have a great vacation.

Edited: 5:38 am, June 29, 2013
new york
reviews: 1
2. Re: Finalizing Our Plans

We have stayed in Indian Shores in June and love the Pub, also enjoyed the Tampa aquarium. When we shop for groceries, as we stay in a condo, we usually go to a super Walmart on the way, as you can't get in until at least 3PM. There is one on the way to Indian Rocks, 8001 US Highway 19N Pinellas Park. Enjoy your time in Florida

Coopersburg...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Finalizing Our Plans

Thanks, Lifesabeach86 and Depew for the great info. Will investigate your suggestions.

4. Re: Finalizing Our Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Indian Rocks Beach