We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lexington, ky
Level Contributor
726 posts
2 reviews
Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Well, I have finally dug out from under after getting back Sunday night with work first thing Monday morning. Left Friday night for our 14 hour trek towing our flats boat. Blew a trailer tire at 4 in the morning in southern Georgia, hoping that wasn't an omen. :/ After fixing that, hubby was worried about not having a spar, so stopped at a superwalmart in Tifton to buy a spare at 5 am. Finally got to 64 at about 10:30 Sat. Memorial Weekend. Traffic was sitting and barely moving after we got through downtown. Literally moving a car length every 5 minutes. Got off 64 and took residential streets and came back to 64 right before it narrows to 2 lane. Hate to think how long we would have sat in that traffic. Heard that police were at the bridge checking every car coming on island, but they must have been at lunch when we went through as by know it was about 11:30. Made for a long trip driving through the night, but I survive on pure adrenalin to get to AMI.

We rented a little condo in Seaside on Little Bimini Bay near the public boat launch on 63rd. Very retro feel to the street that I like. Very mid century. Had been re-done, but it was minimalist (barely any lamps, one picture on the wall, and no knick knacks). Was clean, though, and it had a nice deck and a dock for our boat so it was just fine for the two of us. Price was very reasonable too.(Cheap imo) Hubby and I had fun sitting on the dock in the evenings with our cocktails watching all the memorial weekend boaters trying to trailer their boats. Saw dolphins in the bay and right off the dock pretty much every day.

Since we brought the boat, we pretty much got up every morning and took the boat out for 5-6 hours for fishing and sun. Used M & M Bait who sell bait not far off the entrance to Keyes Marina. Very convenient for buying shiners since they hadn't really arrived in the bay yet for cast netting ourselves. Just get there first thing, drive your boat up, and they put them in your baitwell. Ours is small, so one scoop was $25 and was more than enough for the day. Caught Redfish, Spotted Trout, Snook, Flounder, Jacks, and Catfish (bleh). Good fishing! Because of that I only made it to the beach twice for about an hour. Just enjoyed the view and read. Also saw many rays, rays jumping, dolphins, and even a few manatees came up to check out the boat, most times down near Longboat Pass.

Went fishing on Tuesday with Captain Mark at Sumotime Fishing Charters. Waited until the holiday crowd left the island. Had a great day fishing, and enjoyed soaking in Capn Mark's vast knowledge of fishing around the bay. He is very knowledgable and helpful in showing us where to go and what time of day. Thank you Mark! Caught Redfish, Trout, and Snook. Highly recommend!

As far as food, we only ate out at dinner. Since hubby is a HUGE fan of Rod & Reel, we made 4 trips there for dinner. Since I am vegetarian, its tough for me there, but I got rice and the mixed grill veggies two nights, and salad another. Last time I went to The feast for takeout and then went and watched him eat. They had fresh Black Grouper that week, which is rare to get we were told as it is the "Prime Filet" of grouper. So hubby had that all 4 times sautéed in garlic. Portion was huge, the size of a t-bone steak, and he said it was absolutely incredible. Hats off to our favorite waitress Christine who is absolutely phenomenal. If you go, ask for her, and tell her sandy and ed from KY said to ask for her and we say hi. :))

We also got take out from Poppos, very tasty. They have the tempeh tacos for me. And takeout pizza from the feast which was also very good. nice crisp to the crust, but not too crispy. Also did a turn at Starfish in Cortez. Hubby had the mullet, which was good. Met and talked with Captain Kathe who thought we were her next cruise. She was taking a couple out where the guy was going to propose at sunset. So of course we hung out on the dock picnic benches to get a look at the soon to be happy couple (we hope she said yes!) They looked so young :)

Sorry this is so long, it was a great trip, and can't wait to go back. Luckily it is August 9th.

United States
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Gee shpedly, after a trip down there like that, it's amazing that you made it sound okay. Kudos for being a positive person. Hope your drive in August is less interesting!

I'm not a fisher-person, so I'll let others comment on that, but the food sounded good. We still have never gone to the Feast. Need to try it, as others have commented on its' being good too. Glad it was a great trip for you!

Edited: 9:44 pm, June 04, 2014
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Great report, thanks! Next time while your hubby does all that fishin' and eatin' go get a massage! Lol. We love The Feast. We will be there soon, can't wait.

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

It was NOT too long, shpedly - I enjoyed every bit of your trip report. So interesting and informative! We will be there in just a few weeks. We're definitely going to Rod and Reel this time.

Level Contributor
193 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Thanks for posting your report Shpedly, it sounded like you had a great time. My OH would have loved all that fishing. We love the Feast and the new Rod and Reel. If you're back in August the time will go in fast, lucky you.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
726 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Haha, Doughnut, everything's great when going or being on AMI imo. My plan had been to get on island early on Saturday to beat the traffic, but hubby got delayed at work, so instead of leaving at 5pm, we left at 7:30pm. Then the tire set us back. Best laid plans, lol. Just gotta go with the flow.

Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Great report Sandy, I too am not a fisherman but it just goes to show that there are many other things to do and experience on the island rater than the beach. So happy you had a good vacation and that the cottage worked out for you. August isn't that far away so we will see you then!!

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
726 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Sounds like a lot of people a bit upset about the massive backup because the highway patrol decided to put a checkpoint on manatee ave on the sat morning of a holiday weekend. Glad we took a shortcut!

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

It was a mess! We figured it out fairly fast and ducked off to get to Cortez. No traffic there at all.

Edited: 7:17 am, June 06, 2014
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Thanks for sharing, shpedly.

It sounds like your trip was wonderful, once you had arrived!

I love relaxing in my chair or hammock with a book when my husband and kids are fishing, so I can totally relate. You are so lucky to be returning in August! Please keep sharing with us. I really enjoy reading your TRs.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
45 reviews
10. Re: Trip Report May 24 - June 1

Thanks for sharing! Loved reading your trip report, sounds like you rallied through a rough start! I can't wait to check out some of those places in Oct. my husband would love the fishing but I don't get along well with boats. Lucky you get to return in a few months!

Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach