We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 29
Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

We are going to stay at my Aunts condo on Holmes Beach in a place called Martinique. We have never been there. Can someone advise as to good places to eat and hang out. We are younger married types, just looking for fun spots close to the condo. Any ideas anyone?? 30-50 age range?

Anna Maria Island
1. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

You are in a good spot and walking distance to some fun places.

Hurricane Hanks, Restaurant/pub

Martiniville - Restaurant

Fins - Pub

Eat Here -Restaurant

Are all places to eat and hangout for a while.

In addition, there are 2 strip malls near you where you can shop for gifts and other items.

Have fun

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Sounds like fun! Thanks so much for your details. We will be down for 3 weeks in a few days, looking forward to some relaxation. Which one is best for fish and which one is best for hangining out> Any ideas are appreciated

cleveland
reviews: 36
3. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

For fish, go to starfish company in nearby cortez...or rod and reel pier at tip of island (get grouper sandwich without bun for full meal at pier...dinners aren't as good). Both casual with awesome views.....go to Duffy's in holmes for the best burger (even if you don't usually go for burgers). Hang out on either pier (both have bars). Have coffee at the old IGA in morning and eavesdrop on all the chatter. Buy stone crab at anna maria fish company, buy some wine and have a picnic at sunset on bean point (no liquor permitted, so be discreet).

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Great tips! Thanks! Sounds like a fun destination. Can't wait.

Anna Maria Island
5. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Hi!

You may also want to check out the Sandbar (100 Spring Ave North end of Anna Maria) for sunset! It is a great place to grab a bite to eat and have a fruity cocktail. It is directly on the gulf so you can not beat the setting! Fusion(5904 Marina Dr Holmes Beach) is another great spot for dinner. It is located very close to where you are staying

- BeachBumsAMI

cleveland
reviews: 36
6. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Hi,

I typed my previous reply on my phone....and I'm still all thumbs -- literally -- with that.

But I wanted to tell you that you can tailor your Anna Maria Island vacation to your own desires -- ultra casual, smart casual or smart cocktail. At home, we rarely go ultra casual, yet that's what fits our vacation lifestyle. We're in our early 40s and we surprised ourselves with that...and my recommendations are for that type of vacation...which may not be your style.

First, realize that the distance between Holmes and much of Anna Maria is a nice evening stroll...so you have many possibilities (you can also rent bikes for about $40 a week (free delivery and pickup). Additionally, Sarasota (St. Armand's Circle and downtown) is a hop-skip, with lots of waterfront options on the drive in between. Note that there's a Whole Foods in Sarasota, too, so you can fill up your condo with good eats.

Star Fish Company (in Cortez) can be crazy crowded at lunch and dinner (depending on time of year and day), so be prepared to wait. It's not a chore if you expect it going in because there's so much to see. It's all outside dining and there's a tiny bar there to keep you from getting thirsty. It's in a working fishing village and sits among the boats... Note that mosquitos can be hungry at dusk, so you may want to take some repellant in the evenings. Dolphins, birds, customer dogs and Star Fish cats (some with one leg or one eye, but all healthy) are often around. All seem well-behaved, except for the birds -- which can be both bold and stubborn.

The two piers -- Rod and Reel and City -- have distinct personalities. You'll have to see which you like best, but try both. Rod and Reel always has a great sandwich special and we think they do that fish better than their much more expensive neighboring restaurants, both on the island and on the way to Sarasota. Never had a dry piece of fish at Rod and Reel. Paid twice as much for fish and other places in the area and it wasn't as good. That said, Rod and Reel tries to go more upscale (not in what customers wear, but it what they're served) with sauces and other options at night. Pass. Why mess with grilled or blackened perfection? Maybe if you live in Florida, you get bored with the local fresh catch. But when you spend most of your life faced with tilapia (yuk), salmon and fresh-water fish, these gulf fish (and pink shrimp and stone crab) are heaven. Whichever pier you choose, it's hard to beat sipping a beer, watching the sun set...and seeing all the crazy shark, ray and other sea creastures the fishermen are pulling out of the water around you.

The first two times we visited the island, we drove past Duffy's and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Then, on a rainy day in November, we went inside. I could go years without eating a burger and wouldn't care. (not so for my burger-loving husband). We each got the burger with havarti and jalapenos. In one bite, it was clear how burgers became iconic. So much flavor, and not just from the toppings. Also, it's inexpensive. For a chuckle, look at the menu of another great spot in Holmes -- Eat Here (try the tacos -- yum). Under the burger option on Eat Here's menu, it says something like....turn right and go to Duffy's. That was smart. I've never made it past the burger at Duffy's, but Duffy's has things I haven't ever seen on a menu beyond Greater Cleveland -- braunschweger (sp) sandwiches and navy bean soup.

If you ever get tired of the sun or heat, head for Bortell's in Anna Maria. It's like walking into a friend's huge basement. It's cool and dark and full of pool tables. Many of the younger people working on the island gather here in the evenings.

The liquor store next to Hurricane Hank's (a restaurant/bar owned by the same guy who owns liquor store) in Holmes is small, but well-supllied. It's open Sundays, too. Never ate at Hurricane Hank's but they keep Foster's very, very cold on tap. I think the same people own Martiniville across the street. Nice selection, but steep ($12 and $14) compared with most of the island (not compared to Chicago, though). The main point is -- you can do several bar crawls without hitting the same place twice.

Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

We will be back in 3 weeks. Every visit makes us more ready for the next. We now spend our dinner conversation trying to figure out how we can move to this beautiful island! What a great place!!

Anna Maria Island
8. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Welcome Back!!!!!!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 43
9. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

amagar,

You posted some really good advise, very helpful. I too am a Duffy's lover, think their burger is the best anywhere and we also like hanging out at Bortell's for drinks and a game of pool.

Right across the street is another little hangout, Feeling Swell, good food and cold beer, they also have a little patio that is nice to sit at.

I'm with you, you can not beat the Rod & Reel Pier for their fish of the day sandwich, take off the bun and you have dinner!

I suggest MoreMully take the trolley to the south end of the island into Bradenton Beach and check out Bridgetender, Drift-In and the sports bar, you can always meet some interesting people there.

Anna Maria Island
10. Re: Holmes Beach Restaurants and fun

Did someone say 'FUN'?

Pack a picnic and kayak to an area where you will be all alone.

See you again soon