We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bamboo Apartments

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 10
bamboo Apartments

Can anyone tell me what these units are like? Look like old Florida, which is fine.....just looking for experienced viewers thoughts.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: bamboo Apartments

We just got home from there yesterday. Stayed in Cottage #1. At least, I think that's which one it was. The larger half of the duplex.

Newer couch and recliner. Wood table with four chairs. Flat screen TV. Nice fridge. Big bedroom, with king sized bed. Sort of soft, but I slept like a rock.

Floor, walls and ceiling are all wood, I think pine. Makes it a bit dark. But, unlike many places, there were lots of lamps.

Bathroom was small, but the shower was decent sized and the water was hot.

Outside had several grills, tables and chairs, a few loungers. Unfortunately, we know more about the fact that the heat worked than the outdoor amenities.....

It was a decent place, nice management. I have to confess that the darkness of the rooms bothered me though. I like lots of light.

Sarasota, FL
reviews: 11
2. Re: bamboo Apartments

Do you have a specific location you are looking for to be on Anna Maria Island? Close enough to walk to restaurants or dead quiet? There are alot of choices on the island. Direct Gulf Front required?

Michigan
3. Re: bamboo Apartments

Stayed on BB last few years....considering HB or AM? Want to be on, or close to water....close to fishing for me son and daughter.

Bloomington, Indiana
reviews: 20
4. Re: bamboo Apartments

We stayed at Bamboo Apartments both times we visited AMI and most likely will do so again. We stayed in Cottage 2 which is slightly smaller than Cottage 1 (less of a living room if I remember correctly). Next time we will probably rent Cottage 2. Furnishings are okay but I believe they were bringing in new furniture right after we left.

It is steps off the beach and has a nice, shaded back yard between the cottage and beach - great for lounging when the beach gets too hot. It is very old Florida and there are many more fancy places available on the island. One of the negatives for some is the lack of a pool. The owners are wonderful to work with and very responsive to your needs. The beds are a little soft although I slept great our entire time there (which I rarely do at home). That, however, may be more about the atmosphere and activity than the bed. :)

Close to the Publix grocery and a number of restaurants and shops with a trolly stop near by. Bottom line for us is the beach access, privacy, the owners and the rates are very reasonable - important to us with a kid still in college! I can't think of many places on the beach that cost less than most hotel rooms. For a couple like us, it's been ideal.

And I'm guessing there aren't 6 inches of snow on the ground like here in southern Indiana!

Edited: 2:06 pm, December 16, 2010
Sarasota, FL
reviews: 11
5. Re: bamboo Apartments

Fishing.... most folks find fishing on the bay side produces better results. If a 2-3 block walk away to the beach is acceptable then I would stay up in Anna Maria City near the public pier or rod and reel pier where for a minimal cost you can fish on the pier. Lastly, another secret spot is over on North Harbor where you can stay on a canal and be 1-2 blocks to the beach. The Bay fishing will definitely produce better eating results but if just fishing for sport, North Harbor might work. If being closer to the beach is the most important thing then you might want to forgo the idea of walking to fish AND walk to the beach. That way you can spend most of your time on the beach and maybe bike over to one of the piers or take a charter or something. How do some of those ideas grab you?

Alexandria, VA
6. Re: bamboo Apartments

I believe the dark wood is "heart pine", the denser, decay-resistant, heartwood of a southern pine tree. A touch of old Florida.

Apartments 2, 3, and 4 have lighter colored walls than cottages 1 and 2 if that's an issue. You can look at the site map on www.bamboo-apartments.com to see where they are situated and there is also a photo gallery.

We enjoyed our stay in spring 2009.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
7. Re: bamboo Apartments

Thanks for the info on the pine. I honestly don't think the darkness of the room would have been an issue if the weather had been decent. We spent an awful lot of time in the room when we normally would have been outside.....

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 41
8. Re: bamboo Apartments

I think you would love it, the location is perfect and it does have the "Old Florida Cottage" feel that is getting harder and harder to find. It is only steps to the water and has lovely trees with great shade.

Another place that is similar to Bamboo and a few doors down is Sail Fish Gulf Suites, take a look at that too.

Happy hunting!

Columbus, Ohio
9. Re: bamboo Apartments

We just got back from Anna Maria Island and had stayed at the Bamboo Apartments. It is a FABULOUS place! We are a family on a budget, so when we do have the privilege to travel, we want to make the most of it. We were so fortunate to have stumbled across these accommodations! The grounds are very pretty and the ocean is right in the "backyard". The atmosphere is so relaxing and charming. The apartment was very cozy, clean and nicely remodeled. Most importantly, the owners take pride in the intimacy of the place. It had so much more "flavor" than a hotel or condo. It was absolutely perfect for us--very nostalgic. I would highly recommend the Bamboo Apartments to all who visit AMI!!!

Marcy Valenzuela

Michigan
10. Re: bamboo Apartments

thank you for the great information

Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach