We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where exactly are the public beaches?

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WenWillitB
reviews: 11
Where exactly are the public beaches?

Going to be in the area & want to visit Anna Marie Island. I checked on google maps & see there are many beaches on this island. Where do I go?

Here is what I want to do...

1 night I want to watch the sunset so which one is the best to do this?

Another day I actually want to go during the day.

Also I don't like busy beaches if I can help it but of course I guess it must be a public beach since I'm not staying on the island.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 5
1. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

there are 3 public beaches on AMI...

First is right in Holmes Beach. Just go down SR 64 (Manatee Ave) all the way WEST and you get to a parking lot. This is Manatee Public Beach.

In the south there is Coquina Beach which can´t be missed if you go down the gulf drive towards Longboat Key. It is on the right hand side with a lot of parking space and BBQ under the trees (and a LOT of squirrels which LOVE to be feeded)

The third one is way up north but on the BAY side...

It is near the piers and a good location to head to Bean Pointe. If you want a perfect sunset, this is the place to go. On your way back, visit the Rod and Reel Pier for a great view and a nice dinner...

Portsmouth, UK
Destination Expert
for Alvor
reviews: 87
2. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

As Foridiana says there is a good one at Holmes Beach right on the very end of Manatee.

That was the beach closest to where we stayed three weeks ago and judging by the crowds at the weekends it was popular.

I have many many marvellous pictures of the sunset taken from about 100 yards from the Cafe on The Beach which is testament to the view from this point.... oh and listen out for Norman and his bongos at sunset ;0)

They have everything there than anyone visiting for the day, could want and I have to say the facilities are far better than any I've seen in Europe!

Enjoy!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
reviews: 78
3. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

If you want to have a meal or a drink at sunset on the beach, you could go to Beach Bistro ($$$) or to Sandbar ($$). Otherwise, the ones already mentioned would be good ones. As you thought, though, you'll see others around you, though not too many at this time of year. For a more deserted beach experience, you might want to head over to the next Key south, Longboat Key, and find one of its twelve beach access points; you'll usually be alone or perhaps with only one or two others on the beach.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
4. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

I'm hoping for a first visit to Anna Maria Island late this fall. I'm a bit confused by the term 'public beaches'. Aren't all the beaches public? Can I swim anywhere? Or put my towel down where ever it looks good? And I can walk as long as my legs hole me up????? Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
5. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

All beaches on AMI are public. There is one place, if I remember correctly, where the seawall goes out into the water. This is on the northern side, I think north of the Sandbar. You can go around the seawall at low tide in the water, or on the road. Otherwise, the beach is 7 miles long, and yes, you can walk the whole island, drop your towel and swim anywhere you want. There are even a lot of pine trees for shade if you want to take a break.

The three "public beaches" mentioned above are "full service beaches", meaning they have lifeguards, changing areas, showers, toilets, snack bars, etc. Also large parking lots.

There are a lot of small "beach access" points on the island as well. When we go out for part of the day, we use these to find a more secluded area. Basically, these are the dead ends as side streets run into the beach. They are all over the island, and open to the public on a first come basis.

Anna Maria Island
6. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

Yes the entire Island is public and all the beach is easy to access. Almost every street on Anna Maria leads to the beach. This is very nice, you can discover the different areas and the small differences in the beaches. When others say public beaches they mean 3 areas where there is a lot of public parking and restrooms.

The water is spectacular right now. See you soon

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 5
7. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

Well, all others answered already... :-)

You can go anywhere and swim or walk the entire island...

BUT, the beaches are not "public" by any means...

Only the small "shore" is really public!

The beach itself belongs to the condos or houses nearby but NOONE ever cares...

That is just juristical and I found out with our La Costa once :-)

Noone would send you away anywhere on AMI!!

WenWillitB
8. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

Thank you all... I'm so excited to watch a sunset being that I never saw one before.

Another question... someone mentioned to me about drums during the sunset every Sunday but I don't know if it's on this island or on another. Does anyone know of this?

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
9. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

I believe the drum circle is on Siesta Key, about 40 minutes south.

WenWillitB
10. Re: Where exactly are the public beaches?

Thanks Kris. Um is it like? Is it a bunch of people playing drums? Is there a lot of people there? Do kids go? And any other info you could offer about it would be appreciated. Sounds interesting.

Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach