We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clitheroe, United...
reviews: 4
Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone could help us to decide between these two destinations. We have found great rentals in both places that are available for us in May but are struggling to decide. We quite like the idea of renting a boat in Cape Coral and have it docked at our rental but the beaches of Anna Maria look amazing. We would love to see dolphins and manatees in their natural environment and quite like the idea of shelling but not sure how far Anna Maria is from Captiva or Sanibel where shelling is supposed to be at its best.

Any help would really be appreciated, thank you

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
1. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Cape Coral does not have a beach. In AMI you can be directly on the beach. There is probably a lot more to do, and I know a lot more places to eat on AMI. I have not stayed at Cape Coral, but have been in the area many times over the years, and was not terribly impressed. From Cape Coral it's probably 45-60 minutes to Sanibel, from AMI it is over 2 hours. I feel there is decent shelling on AMI, but you have to be out and about early, particularly on the northern end of the island where the shelling is best. By about 7 AM the good stuff is gone.

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

I don't feel that you can compare the two places. In Cape Coral you would have to drive a fair distance for a decent beach. With AMI you can be directly on the beach or just on the other side of the road from the beach, i.e., walking distance. It depends on what is important to you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
3. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

I agree, they can't compare. Unless you really want a boat, I'd go for AMI.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 5
4. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Yes, correct...

They can´t be compared because one is an old florida beach destination and the other is a built up boater destination.

Only nice and gorgeous houses on channels where you´ll have your own deck and you can boat around a lot.

AMI is different.

There is a lot activity with restaurants, beach, jet ski, parasail...

Completly different vacation styles IMO...

Hudson Valley,NY
5. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

On AMI you can have the beach & the boat! There are plenty of rental homes on canals with private docks. And you'll only be a few blocks to the beach. Win-win situation!

Clitheroe, United...
6. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Thanks to everyone for your replys which have been really helpful. I think we are definately leaning towards AMI.

Ft Myers, Fl
reviews: 9
7. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Cape Coral, are u crazy? AMI is a resort town. Cape Coral is NO resort! I live close by and try to avoid that area. No beaches, lots of cops, over crowded...... I hope this isn't to late.... Were planning a visit to AMI soon to get away from the hussle and bussle of the Ft Myers Area. There is no "quaint" in Cape Coral! Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings. Just telling it like it is.

Edited: 11:11 am, July 11, 2010
Clitheroe, United...
8. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Hi

We made the decision to go to AMI in the end and are so glad we did. We returned several weeks ago and have already booked to return again next year. There is nothing to fault. The island is stunning, as was our rental home, the wildlife, the beach, the restaurants etc etc. The laid back atmosphere was just what we needed to recharge our batteries and we can't wait to go back.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us to make the right decision.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
9. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

So go on, give us a trip report. Afterall, we took the time to tell you to go ;-)

Where did you go, what did you do, where did you eat??????

Brandon, Florida
10. Re: Anna Maria v Cape Coral

Please, please ... not so loud ... it's getting very crowded on AMI. LOL. We did two day trips last week (Wednesday and Thursday) and the parking lot at the public beach was packed. I hope it was only the left overs from the July 4th holiday.