We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help with where to stay and dine

Which Gainesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 1
please help with where to stay and dine

We'll be snow-birding our way back north and hope to stop for the night somewhere in the Gainesville area. We'll be coming up I-75 and want to be able to get a good start onto 301-10-I-95 the next day (when we hope to stop at Amelia Island or maybe Kiawah Island). I'd like to find a good, quiet place for the night, within walking distance of a decent restaurant.

Thanks in advance for suggestions. (I wish there were somewhere even a little further north, but route 301 on the way to highway 10 seems to be devoid of pleasant accommodations or eateries.)

Also, will the Gainesville area be crowded this Saturday night? Anything special going on at the University?

6 replies to this topic
Deltona, Florida
reviews: 151
1. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

Restaurants:

- El Indio's

- Adam's BBQ

2. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

We only recently found Satchel's Pizza and it was amazing! Very quirky and fun atmosphere and the food was incredible!

frugalfloridafun.com/satchels-pizza-a-new-ga…

Edited: 9:20 pm, February 11, 2015
3. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

We only recently found Sathel's Pizza and it was amazing! Very quirky and fun atmosphere and the food was incredible!

frugalfloridafun.com/satchels-pizza-a-new-ga…

Edited: 9:21 pm, February 11, 2015
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 86
4. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

There are a number of hotels & restaurants at the Archer Road exit. Its been many years since we have stayed in Gainesville so I can't recommend any certain one. If you click on the hotels tab above, then click on the map, you can add restaurants to the map. It looks like Hilton Garden Inn, Country Inn & Suites, Comfort inn and a few others are located there. Cant say as this is a quiet area but you would probably be in walking distance to a few restaurants. Hotels closer to town may be quieter but not in walking distance to restaurants. If you stay at the Hilton or a Marriott they usually have a restaurant or snack bar on site. We usually stay in Ocala at the Marriott which has its own restaurant and is also right across from Cracker Barrel, Burger King and Mimi's Cafe.

Not sure if you have ever driven 301 but there are fluctuating speeds and cops just waiting to give a speeding ticket along this route. A couple areas are known speed traps.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 24
5. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

It's been years since I've been there,but Emiliano's Cafe has always been a favorite of ours.

Take a look at their reviews: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34242-d51…

Gainesville, Florida
6. Re: please help with where to stay and dine

I agree with Richard. I live in Gainesville and Satchels is worth visiting. Such an interesting atmosphere.

Edited: 4:33 pm, February 13, 2015
Reply to: please help with where to stay and dine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted