We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Gainesville?

Which Gainesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 29
Moving to Gainesville?

Hi, I know this is a travel forum but I love this site so I wanted to post this question for Gainesville experts.

I have a job interview and possibility of moving to Gainesville, but I know adbsolutely nothing @ Gainesville. If someone was about to move to Gainesville, where should they look to live?

The company is located right off of 75 just south of Hammock Preserve State Park, according to the map. Is that a good area?

I would be looking for a nice apartment or condo or loft? I would hope to be able to live within 10 miles of work. I like the city or town, so if something in downtown Gainesville is a recommendation, that would be fine too.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a website to explore to find out more facts about Gainesville that would be appreciated. City Data is the only one I know of.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 89
1. Re: Moving to Gainesville?

Keep in mind this is a college town with quite the rep for tailgate parties. There are lots of places to rent in town but most are near the college. You may find days when you can barely get out of your driveway plus the parties that go on day & night. From what I remember (its been a while since I have visited there) the west side of town has nicer residential areas. There may be some decent condo's / apartment rentals on the south end too. The east side seemed a bit run down to me but as I said its been a while and that could have changed.

Also in March they hold the Gator nationionals there (thats when we used to visit). Traffic can be a nightmare during that week too.

I would look at rental sites like homes.com, hotpads.com, etc. Also google the local newspaper for more info. See if you can find a local person to send a PM to. TA also has an off topic section that may be useful too.

Tampa, Florida
2. Re: Moving to Gainesville?

Gainesville is a very active town with lots to do. Being halfway between the Altantic and the Gulf, it's always each to make a trip to the coast. There is also a lot to do in town depending on your interests. Here's a link with photos of some of the local lakes, rivers, and wildlife.

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

You might be interested in renting something in downtown, as we've been revitalizing the area. There are lots of quirky restaurants, bars, and entertainment options (for a small town). Other areas that might interest you are Haile Plantation and Town of Tioga, though Tioga might be farther than you want to drive. I'd recommend you stay away from the university areas, as they are crowded with students.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Moving to Gainesville?

Sorry, I misread your job location as being on the south side of town. You'd actually be on the northwest side, so not as close to downtown. If you have easy access to I 75 you may wish to look for something off that corridor or off of 441.

4. Re: Moving to Gainesville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 11, 2013