We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nixa, Missouri
Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?

Two years ago we vacationed in Orange Beach, AL. The condos we stayed at Sugar Sands condos which were so-so. The beach was great and the swimming and snorkeling was pretty laid back most every day. Last year we stayed at Waterscape in Fort Walton Beach. The pools were pretty awesome with a lazy river as well. What we didn't care for was the beach there. The water was very rough every day, so our beach time was limited. We found only a few shells here the whole week, but they were semi-abundant in Orange Beach. Is this typical?

3 replies to this topic
Little Rock...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?

We have vacationed at fwb 12yrs. We started taking long weekend breaks in sept and Oct and love the area of perdido key just east of orange beach. The water is the same in both areas. It's mother nature.

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
reviews: 10
2. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?

You just got unlucky with the waves. That's what is great about Pensacola Beach. We have a sound side. If it is too rough or there are jellyfish, you can always go across the street and swim in the bay where there are never any waves and the jellyfish numbers are reduced. You can do that in Navarre as well.

Fort Walton Beach...
reviews: 155
3. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?

The waves along the panhandle are pretty small, although it sounds like you may have been here when we may have been having some weather events out in the Gulf when the water can be rougher. However much of the time, the water has very small waves and the it is beautifully clear. So hard to say if you picked FWB on X date, that the waves would be calmer. because if you booked at Orange Beach, you may find the same rough waves on that particular week there too.

Where the beaches are so beautiful and white, we traditionally do not have many shells on our beaches. Down below Venice Beach to Naples is major sea shell heaven if that is something you like to do while on the beach. I had once heard that we had a barrier reef several miles off of our shore that caught much of the seashells. but don't quote me, but that is what I heard. I actually like the few shells because you can walk barefoot easier and the sand is so much softer.

Depending on the time of year, Orange beach might be a little less crowded that FWB, which may be an advantage. Destin is also a nice tourist destination, but more expensive and more crowded. And same beach/water conditions as FWB.

Wherever you decide to go, hope you have a nice time.

Reply to: Fort Walton Beach vs Orange Beach wave action?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach