We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Our family is looking into a Florida "get away" trip this spring. Can someone share updated pros and cons of both areas? Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Tennessee
reviews: 4
1. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

We have been both places many times and Okaloosa wins for us hands down!! Beach is two miles long and ends in dead end on military property you can walk on for miles and miles. No condos over 7 stories high. No multiple rows of beach set ups on beaches, like on Destin. Much less traffic than Destin. The traffic and long waits for dinner were the killer for us at Destin. Gives us Okaloosa anyday. It suits us much better and is more sparsely populated and more affordable. We do have a couple of places we love to eat in Destin. Dewey Destin and McGuires are just over the bridge from Okaloosa, as is Scuba Tech with whom we do our diving.

reviews: 96
2. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

I stayed in Fort Walton Beach and was happy with that choice. Destin is just a short drive away and has a lot more traffic. It all comes down to what area you would prefer. The beaches are nice in both areas.

Springfield...
3. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Great info-the beach sounds wonderful. Thanks Scubagirl77!

Springfield...
4. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Good to know. We prefer less traffic : ) thanks debbiejo!

Kentucky
reviews: 28
5. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Most definitely Fort Walton Beach if you prefer less traffic and crowds. We love the area! Plenty to do and see, great places to eat. We love McGuires too! It's just a short drive across the bridge. Pick a day and drive to Destin for shopping, once you have sit in the traffic you will be thankful you chose Okaloosa Island :)

Springfield...
6. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Thanx Reaghan&AmeliasMom. A day of shopping in Destin sounds perfect for my daughter and I, while my hubby takes my son golfing. & thanks for the restaurant tip. :)

Fort Walton Beach...
reviews: 143
7. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

I live in FWB and it is becoming a dying town. But if you are here for a visit in Spring and want to have miles of beach to walk on, Okaloosa Island might be the best option. However, Destin has a lot more attractions and better restaurants (at least a larger number to choose from). The crowds start around March to April, but much worse June to August. And traffic is worse in the late afternoon when people are coming in from the beach, or getting off work.

If you do plan to stay in FWB, I would be very careful to make sure you are on Okaloosa Island, or close to The Pier or Boardwalk. Because if you are all the way in FWB, I'll just say I see a lot of homeless people walking or hanging out along hwy 98 these days, so I would not allow any family of mine to stay there.

You may want to take some time to check out 30A. There are the nicest little quaint beach towns along that section of hwy. If you don't stay there, you should plan on taking a day trip out there to check it out. It is on the east side of Destin and has become a popular tourist destination.

Where ever you go, hope you have a good time with your family.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 90
8. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Ft Walton Beach is lovely, plenty of beach accomodations, plenty of good restaurants. Destin is congested with traffic during high tourist season.

Killingworth...
reviews: 109
9. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

I'm not sure why that poster is always putting FWB down. It's not glitzy like Destin and that's what some people like. Yes, there are a couple homeless people downtown. Okaloosa Island is where all the beachfront accommodations are located. It's FWB by mailing address only. It's really it's own thing the way I see it.

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 6
10. Re: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?

Have to agree with you, I have wondered why they aren't more of a cheerleader for their own town.

Reply to: Fort Walton Beach vs. Destin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted