We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FWB hotels

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 69
FWB hotels

I'm wanting to suprise my husband with a trip to FWB for our 30th anniversary in January. I know it will be too cool to enjoy the beach but would still like to stay near it for the scenery. This will be our first trip to Florida. Any suggestions on where to stay? I've looked into the La Quinta and Four Points. Thanks!

Midwest
reviews: 36
1. Re: FWB hotels

Rent a condo. Much nicer, less expensive, & more space. Look at www.vrbo.com.

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 6
2. Re: FWB hotels

Condo is a great idea if you are staying longer then a few days, if not the cleaning fees make a hotel a better choice. Along the beach there is also a Best Western, a Wydham (used to be the Holiday Inn), a Ramada, and a Hampton Inn.

Fort Walton Beach...
reviews: 173
3. Re: FWB hotels

Stay away from La Quinta. I am not saying the inside is not nice, but the location is not the best. At night, you can watch the homeless people walk by.

Not sure if you are on a budget, but a highly rated B&B is called Henderson Park Inn. It is in Destin and in a good location. You might get cheaper rates in Jan.

The Emerald Grande in Destin is a wonderful spot, in that it sits on the Destin East Pass and has wonderful views. Restaurants at the base of the Hotel.

Not sure exactly why you have chosen FWB (I live there), but honestly if this is your first trip, I would find something in Destin. Unfortunately, FWB is a dying town and many businesses have actually closed and moved to Destin.Many of the hotels are older and dirty looking. However, the prices should be cheaper in Jan and I would think you might find some terrific deals in the Destin area (whether a hotel or condo rental as someone else suggested). Destin has a cleaner look than FWB, since it has been building up the last many years and much of it is newer. Without a doubt, much better restaurants.

Trip Advisor does have many listings of hotels, as well as condo rentals. You can also check out www.airbnb.com. They have some awesome deals for much less than a hotel in some cases.

If you do come to Destin, a few good local places to try: The Donut Hole (breakfast), the Back Porch (Lunch/dinner). And if you have a car, head East about 20 minutes to 30A and take a ride down there. It is on 30A you will encounter towns like Seaside, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach. They are the cutest beach towns. So fun to visit. (you may even want to come back in the warmer months just to enjoy that area even more!)

Where ever you decide to go, just be weary of the FWB hotels. There are probably a few located on Okaloosa Island that may not be so bad, but you may find you are driving a lot in the direction of Destin anyway to do things, so might as well stay there. Yo will be lucky to avoid crowds in Jan. Have fun!!

Midwest
4. Re: FWB hotels

We stay in FWB, on Okaloosa Island, several times a year.... Although we enjoy going to Destin for some restaurants & things to do, we do not enjoy the traffic & crowds on the beach, we usually encounter there. We find FWB has some very unique features that we enjoy. The area with the condos & a few hotels, is actually on an Island, separated from the town....although we have some favorite spots to eat & shop, in the town, too.

The Island has a 2 mile stretch of road (Santa Rosa Blvd) which is not a thru street, so no thru traffic. We LOVE being at the far west end, where the road ends, & Island continues for miles & miles (government owned), so you can take very long walks on the beach, often with no one around :-)

We LOVE the quiet seclusion...but a very easy distance to commercialization, when we are ready for that! There is also a height restriction for bldgs on the Island....so no super tall high rises, which keeps the amount of beach go-ers minimal....

So many great & unique qualities about FWB/Okaloosa Island :-) We find it an amazing (& favorite) vacation destination!

I'm sure you will love it, too!

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 6
5. Re: FWB hotels

thinkn' vacation you summed it up beautifully, agree with everything you said!

Tennessee
reviews: 4
6. Re: FWB hotels

Thinkin Vacation. You took the words out of my mouth. We stayed in Destin for years as well as all along 30 A, but when we stumbled upon Okaloosa, we felt like we had discovered our paradise. Destin is way too overdeveloped for us. The traffic jams are horrid. The beaches behind the many storied condos is 5-6 rows deep. You will not find that on Okaloosa. We dive out of Destin but Scubatech is just over the bridge. Gives us Okaloosa anyday!!!

Midwest
7. Re: FWB hotels

Just one more thought-

We really enjoy the Downtown Fort Walton Beach Art Walk, that the city hosts monthly, in the warmer months. The last one was in Sept, with a great variety of sidewalk vendors, sidewalk musicians....& there were BBQ vendors in the park with a live band.

It was a lovely way to spend an evening!

The city may have a Facebook page, that has all the festivals & activities. They tend to be hosted in warmer months, tho.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
reviews: 84
8. Re: FWB hotels

Maxona, I can't believe you are trashing Fort Walton Beach. Many people prefer Okaloosa Island because the beach is not as crowded as Destin. Fort Walton Beach is not a typical tourist trap destination, and many people prefer that. The prices for gas, food and entertainment is also cheaper, but still very good.

While I wouldn't stay at LaQuinta, it has more to do with if you come all this way, you should enjoy the water, whether that be on the beach or on the Sound. Fort Walton in general is pretty safe, follow standard traveling rules and use common sense. We've had relatives that stayed at Four Points, and raved about it. It's also closer to the nightlife on the Boardwalk. Hotels are better for short stays. We love the art walks, but I don't think they are having them during the winter. Downtown Fort Walton Beach Merchant's Association has a Facebook page that posts upcoming events like Pub Crawls, Ladies Art Nights. https://www.facebook.com/DowntownFWB.

We like Pandora's and go there for our anniversary often, they have Prime Rib on Sundays and Wednesdays on special. I have friends who like the Black Pearl. Props is a craft brewery just over the bridge in Fort Walton Beach, and Nauti Girls is a new restaurant under the bridge that several friends like (they even have mermaids). Mama Clemenza's in uptown station is also yummy.

If you pop into Destin, McGuires is reliably yummy, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is also really good. We like to take the sunset dinner cruise as well.

9. Re: FWB hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach