We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reports of bacteria in water - anything to worry about?

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GA
reviews: 28
Reports of bacteria in water - anything to worry about?

I've seen several news reports about an increase in the cases of a dangerous bacteria that is found along the Florida coast (vibrio vulnificus). I know there is always bacteria in the water but wasn't sure if the recent warnings of this was anything different than the norm or if it was actually something to worry about. Coming down next week and I really want to play in the ocean!

Tennessee
reviews: 4
1. Re: Reports of bacteria in water - anything to worry about?

I just read a post saying 9 deaths this year, in Florida alone,due to flesh eating bacteria found to have come from ocean/brackish water. I would think if the bacteria levels were that high the health department would close things down. Main thing is to try and keep it out of your nose. Good luck. We were there 2 weeks in July and another the last week in August. We swam and dove with no problems, but there has been record rainfall and run off into the gulf this year which has fouled the water for weeks at a time.

GA
reviews: 28
2. Re: Reports of bacteria in water - anything to worry about?

Thanks ScubaGirl77. Looks like now we have to watch out for tropical storm Karen. Oh well, just have to make the best of it! Any day at the beach is a good day in my book!

3. Re: Reports of bacteria in water - anything to worry about?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 05, 2014