We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Pensacola

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Coming from Pensacola

I'm looking at Google maps on how to get to Ft Walton from the West. From Pensacola, looks like 98 will take me straight there. Below 98 however, is 399. I 'thought' (can't remember) that I read where that was a pretty drive. Is it worth (scenic) using 399 or will it just slow me down?

Tennessee
reviews: 4
1. Re: Coming from Pensacola

If this is the road going through the National Seashore, along the beach from Pensacola to Navarre, it WILL slow you down. My husband almost killed me because it was bird nesting season and the speed limit was 20 mph, plus there was lots of congestion at Navarre where you go over the bridge from 98 to Navarre.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 102
2. Re: Coming from Pensacola

Route 399 between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach is a beautiful drive along the undeveloped and protected national seashore with several areas where you can park if you want. We've taken spectacular photos along this stretch. 20 mph is about right because everyone is gawking at the beach instead of the road! It's only 7 mile long. There's more traffic during the summer and weekends.

However, if you're concerned about it "slowing you down" you should probably skip it so you don't get frustrated at someone else taking their time to enjoy the natural beauty. You can stay on I-10 and take one of the other exits closer to Ft Walton because if you're in a hurry, route 98 can be congested, too.

Edited: 8:40 am, August 07, 2013
Connecticut
reviews: 115
3. Re: Coming from Pensacola

It's a beautiful drive! But yes, it is much slower :)

Louisiana
4. Re: Coming from Pensacola

I usually plan an hour to get from Pensacola through the National Seashore/Navarre and back on 98 but we make about 3 stops along the National Seashore to enjoy the beautiful beaches. Actually, we schedule our trip to hit the National Seashore in the very early morning. If you can take the time, you won't be disappointed.

5. Re: Coming from Pensacola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 09, 2014