We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
reviews: 74
Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Hubby hates traffic and crowds, so I want to stay away from Destin. Staying at Surf Dweller next week. Can't seem to find anything for teen/tweens to do in FWB other than beach and pool and miniature golf (no to museum). Is the snorkeling worth it? Even restaurant suggestions for FWB seem to lead back to Destin. Any suggestions?

11 replies to this topic
Killingworth...
reviews: 108
1. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

You can rent a boat in FWB right behind the Elks Club. The Boardwalk has an arcade in it and a gelato shop. There are also volleyball courts set up there, as well as other locations along the beach. Fudpuckers (across from Boardwalk) also has an arcade. Fudpuckers Water Sports rents out paddleboards, kayaks, etc. You can fish from the pier. Downtown FWB has little shops as well as a cupcake shop. There is a tour company called Cattywampus that has some neat looking trips but I've never used them.

Okaloosa Island is much quieter than Destin overall!

Austin, TX
reviews: 74
2. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Thank you very much!

Midwest
reviews: 31
3. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Gulfarium

Okaloosa Island Pier (fishing)

Wed & Sun Prime Rib Special @ Pandora's.

Restaurants on beach: Angler's & Crab Trap

2nd vote for "True Blue" pontoon rentals.

Midwest
reviews: 50
4. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

We try to avoid Destin also. For restaurants we rarely venture out of Fort Walton Beach as we think the restaurants in Destin are overpriced for what you get. Our number one restaurant in FWB is Mulhollow's Bistro 215. We also like Old Bay Steamer, High Tide Lounge, Magnolia Grill and Ali's Bistro. Also for coffee is

Maas Coffee Roaster. Love the old fashioned small downtown feel of FWB. If you do venture out we always make trips to Baytowne Wharf and eat at Graffitti's on their decks; take a short drive to Seaside/Watercolor, Rosemary Beach/Alys Beach where there are great restaurants along the way like George's in Alys Beach and Stinky's Fish Camp in Santa Rosa Beach.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
reviews: 51
5. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach has a plethora of dining options: Five Guys, Clemenza's, Wild Wings, Zaxby's, several Asian options. I like Tommy Mattonie's on Eglin Pkwy for lunch, Stewby's is a local seafood option that's good (a bit off the beach). On the mainland, the dining isn't as expensive as Destin. There's a Fusion Bistro at the corner of Eglin/Hollywood close to the island that's fun and decently priced.

The Boardwalk has several dining options: Floyd's, Angler's, The Black Pearl, Crab Trap. A bit more expensive than in Fort Walton.

You don't say if you have boys or girls, but my tween girl loves the consignment shops & flea markets in downtown Fort Walton Beach. The Closet Swap on 98 is my favorite, and the flea/antique shops on Eglin are fun.

My teen boy likes the jetski rentals, and likes to net crabs on the sound side. If you snorkel in the pass, please be careful and aware of the tides.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
reviews: 51
6. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Sorry, forgot kayaking is really popular right now, so there are lots of places to rent kayaks. Also kite surfing is popular in the Bay.

Carencro, Louisiana
7. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

FlyStayEat, someone told me the boardwalk is in Destin and Fudpuckers too! So happy to hear it is in FWB!! Also, is this the same boardwalk that Margaritaville is opeing up on?

Thanks in advance,

Lesley

Killingworth...
reviews: 108
8. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

No, it's not the same boardwalk. This is on Okaloosa Island: http://www.theboardwalkoi.com/

There is a Fudpuckers on Okaloosa Island and another one in Destin.

Carencro, Louisiana
9. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

Oh ok thanks!! Which boardwalk does fireworks on Fridays?

Indianapolis...
10. Re: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin

How far is Watercolor from the things you mentioned? Looking at it for Spring Break 2014 and son loves to fish from pier! Thanks

Reply to: Fort Walton Beach things to do without driving into Destin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach