We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Near Springfield...
Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

My husband and I and our two young kids spent a week at Pelican Isle last year and completely fell in love with the relaxation of the Island. We are now in the process of booking a trip and bringing more of our family with us. 6 adults, 4 kids. (2 active 60 year old grandparents, 4 kids in our 30s and 4 grand kids). All kids ages 8 and under. We loved the uncrowded beach around Pelican Isle where we stayed last year. I'm looking at Bella Riva and Azure, as they seem to be the only condos that come up when I search for "sleeps 8+". We are headed there Aug 10-17. I'm guessing the beaches are fairly empty by then, but wanted any feedback as to whether we should stay in Bella Riva or try Azure. Or is there another condo we should consider? And if we stay at Azure, is it close enough to walk down the beach to the boardwalk area? So the kids can do something? Or is there anything to "do" there even? We never made it that far to check it out...we spent our entire time just sitting on the beach and it was amazing!! Getting goosebumps now just thinking about getting back there again!! :)

14 replies to this topic
Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 6
1. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

When we were shopping for our condo, we looked in Gulf Dunes (did not buy there) but there condos that sleep 8+ there too. Gulf Dunes would be closer to the pier and a shorter walk to the board walk. Prices do start to come down in August, have you considered renting two condos, that is a lot of people to have in one, bathrooms etc.

Near Springfield...
2. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

We've considered splitting up, but we have 2 families of 4 and then the 2 grandparents. It could be an awkward split.

Killingworth...
reviews: 109
3. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

Azure is close to the Boardwalk. Bella Riva is on the opposite end. There is a playground on the beach at the Boardwalk. There is a gelato shop. A few restaurants restaurants. Howl at the Moon for the adults. I don't think there is an arcade or anything like that but maybe there is. You can also walk out on the pier and actually fish from it too. I believe they have fishing poles for rent and it includes license. You could also walk to the Gulfarium.

Sleeping 10 people I think you'd need 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with bunks. If a 3 bedroom unit says it sleeps 10 and it has a pull out sofa that means that at least one of the bedrooms has 2+ full or queen beds beds in it. I'm sure that would be fine if you were all immediate family members or you stick all the kids together but then 2 people have to sleep on the pull out sofa and that's pretty inconvenient for those who want to stay up late or those who wake up early.

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 6
4. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

I always wonder when you go away with a group like that how you decide who gets the master bedroom and who ends up on the sofa bed. I also would not like to share a bathroom with that many people, makes getting ready to do anything a nightmare. Maybe I just do not play well with others!

oklahoma
5. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

With that many people, you would have to research and find 2 condos next to each other, only to make it comfortable for all... there are many on the island that could possibly work, just takes work to find one! Island Princess, Sea Dunes, just to name a couple (i am biased of course, don't own)...research on vrbo and good luck!

Killingworth...
reviews: 109
6. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

Rent 2 condos - stick all the kids with grandma and grandpa :)

Valparaiso, Indiana
reviews: 46
7. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Gulf Dunes and they have 3BR units that sleep 10. We've stayed there twice, layout is almost identical to Pelican Isle.

Near Springfield...
8. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We did consider more than one condo, but the grandparents are paying for it and they want easy access to the grandkids. (ie, Grandma wants to take a kid up for a nap, but then also wants to get ready for dinner...which condo does she go to..) Whatever. I'm fine with it. ;) We found a condo, but the owner has not returned our emails or phone messages. Guess they don't want to rent it out too bad.

TEXARKANA, ARKANSAS
reviews: 1
9. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

we are doing the same this where did you rent?

TEXARKANA, ARKANSAS
reviews: 1
10. Re: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island

we are doing the same thing. where did you rent?

Reply to: Big group heading to Okasloosa Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach