We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville...
reviews: 15
Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

We will be in the Destin area in late June for a two fold purpose. We are staying for a week w/ 18 yr old son and his girlfriend. We stayed in a beautiful upscale but reasonable condo in Navarre Regency about 5 or 6 years ago and loved Navarre. However my older son is stationed at Eglin and we want to be close so we can pick him up even if it is for only a night or two. Would the drive from Navarre be bad on the weekend to Eglin? Will we be disappointed in the beach and atmosphere of FWB if we loved Navarre? I have looked at Summer Place in FWB. Thanks!!

Fayetteville...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

Now looking at Summer Place and Sea Dunes in FWB. Any help would be appreciated :)

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 90
2. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

You will not be disappointed with FWB. It's busier than Navarre Beach but not as bad as Destin by a long shot. Sand and water is the same all the way across.

Route 98 from Navarre to Ft Walton is busier on the weekend all year long, probably heavier in June because there'll be more tourist traffic. Since you've already tried Navarre, you might stay at FWB and decide for yourself which you like best.

Personally, I love Navarre Beach and would make the drive from there.

Valparaiso, Indiana
reviews: 44
3. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

I've stayed in Navarre (Regency 909 is my fave!) and FWB, had wonderful times at both areas. Far prefer Navarre simply because there is less traffic on the beach and island. I don't know your specific circumstances; however, if I was going to be making frequent trips to Eglin I'd stay in FWB.

IL
reviews: 63
4. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

Have stayed at Summer Place on two different vacations. It's a nice place and located within easy walking distance of the boardwalk, pier, and restaurants. Never stayed on Navarre, but it seems more out of the way to me. The drive from Okaloosa Island would not be bad and the beaches are beautiful as they are on Navarre. Our boys who are now in their 30s have grown up vacationing on Okaloosa and have always enjoyed it, so think your 18 year olds would like the things there are to do there. If you would be up for renting a pontoon boat for the day or 1/2 day, there is a place under the bridge by the High Tide restaurant to do that. Our family always likes to take it to the little islands east of Ft. Walton as well as over to Shell Island in Destin.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
reviews: 53
5. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

I would stay on Okaloosa Island if I was trying to go back and forth to Eglin. It's a straight shot up Eglin Parkway (about 10-15 minutes depending on time of day).

From Navarre, you're looking at a half an hour or more each way, depending upon the time of day. Especially on the weekends (today it took me 20 minutes to go 1/2 mile on Hwy 98).

The only benefit in Navarre is the larger number of shells on the beach (Navarre lost their sandbar during the past few hurricanes). Okaloosa Island has a larger number of dining and activities. Depending on where you stay, the beach is wider than Navarre, but also has more people (still not like Destin/Walton/Panama City).

6. Re: Navarre or Fort Walton for Eglin visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2014