We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ (of course!)
Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

I was in FMB on March 16-18 and I was shocked to see the Days Inn, Howard Johnsons & Sandman all boarded and closed. According to the folks at the "breakfast club" at McDonald's, it wasnt hurricane related but some investor bought them and wants to bulldoze them & build mid-rise, hi-priced condos. I see where the closures have already affected spring break numbers. Is this the beginning of a trend?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 8
31. Re: Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

Thanks, Check us out www.thebeaconmotel.com

Need to take some photos but soon....

NJ (of course!)
32. Re: Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

Yes your facility is well worth it...

Carmel, Indiana
reviews: 3
33. Re: Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

My brother is a builder in Fort Myers. He says that the issue with the new hotel is a requirement for "blow-through" walls on the ground floor. This requirement might restrict how the ground floor could be used. For example, any restaurant might not be able to install equipment on the ground floor due to the fact that a hurricane would sweep through there and destroy everything. I delivered groceries to these hotels in the early 70's, sad to see them go.

NJ (of course!)
34. Re: Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

Indianajohn - wouldn't that then NOT be wasted space in that it could be used for parking? Witness the Diamondhead on FMB - opened 1998??

Saint Clair Shores...
reviews: 34
35. Re: Where Have All the Hotels Gone??

We first visited FMB in December, right after Charlie. There was work going on, but we had a great time. Not all of the hotels or motels had damage. The Sandpiper was great. We are going back this Friday for a week.

I like to see the big hotel names go. FMB is so relaxing. The mom and pop places are great. The town reminds me of an old fishing town. I guess thats part of it's charm. The condo's are getting out of hand, I will agree.