We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lightning....please take it seriously.

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 4
Lightning....please take it seriously.

With these storms coming around every afternoon, please take shelter, go inside and get off the beach so you are out of harms way. With yesterday's lightning strike, it is a scary reminder to stay safe and wait out the storm before going back outside.

6 replies to this topic
north island
1. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

Good point. One year, I was down in July and on the beach with my family. Suddenly my daughters hair, long hair, started standing up, like she had a heavy dose of static electricity in the middle of winter after putting a sweater on. We high tailed it off the beach, just before one of those crash bangers came through. I feel she was a good barometer for the electricity in the air. it was something to witness and a bit scary.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 4
2. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

Wow...that sounds crazy! Another person got struck on Sand Key, beside Clearwater Beach this morning. You definitely can't fool around with mother nature. If you are out on a tour boat, keep a listen out for the words "Theodore" and "Leonard". Boat Captains use those words instead of Thunder and Lightning so they don't scare their passengers, but I think everyone on the boat should be aware of the incoming bad weather.

Cherry Hill, NJ
reviews: 6
3. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

And how about the strike yesterday at Venice Beach CA?? Storms in summer come up quick! I recall playing golf at Myerlee CC in August 1982 when I was visiting my grandmother who lived at 6916 Par Way and it was clear when we were playing 14 (par 3) and 15 (par 4) of this executive course but when we teed off on the very short 16th we were facing the western horizon for the first time in two holes and wow was it brewing and we just had enough time to finish the round. She saw it coming and drove to the clubhouse to pick us up as we had intended to walk the short 10 minutes back to her place. The first huge bang happened as she was parking the car in the garage.

Orlando
reviews: 2
4. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

It is good to see these posts every once in awhile. We frequently get some scarry lightning inland during the summer, and tourists get pi**y and wonder why the close the outdoor theme park rides.

Cherry Hill, NJ
reviews: 6
5. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

Yes - and understand that lightning need not even be in the area to "backstrike" - hence the proverbial "bolt out of the blue". I recall being on work in Florida a lot in spring 2008 and there were widely publicized instances of people being struck and killed by such an event - one a landscaper I recalled. The paper said no rain fell and the sky was blue and the storm was out of view even!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
6. Re: Lightning....please take it seriously.

There are numerous documented cases of lightning striking as much as 15 miles away from the actual storm cell.

It's pretty easier -- if you hear thunder, go inside where it's safe.

Reply to: Lightning....please take it seriously.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted