We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Hi, we want a fun family vacation with our 1 1/2 yr old. We are not familiar with florida at all but heard these are the best beaches for families. Also wondering best place to stay. We like more modern type hotels with resort feel. Any thoughts on which beach will be better for us? We dont want to just hang by the pool/ beach.. Also want to check out local attractions. Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Orlando
reviews: 2
1. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

First, there is no St Pete's. It is St Petersburg or St Pete for short (no 's).

"A resort feel": See if you can afford somewhere like the Don CeSar in St Pete Beach.

Ft Myers Beach has different areas to explore and things to do, but Tampa Bay is a large metro area. There is a large theme park, a zoo, an aquarium, and the Dali Museum.

Boston...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

OMG!!! You have committed the cardinal sin of adding an 's' to St. Pete! Shame on you! As punishment, you must visit Florida in July or August, fly into Miami airport, and stay in Miami for one week.

BUT at least you didn't spell Ft. Myers as "Ft. Meyers"....that is far worse in my opinion.

I would def pick St Pete (no 's') Beach over Ft. Myers any day. Much nicer.

Captiva Island...
reviews: 46
3. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

St. Pete Beach and Ft. Myers Beach --Both are "resorty" type destinations with tee shirt shops, restaurants and bars, lots of resort hotels on a nice sand beach. Very similar feel. I agree with sunfish that there is more "disney like" entertainment in the Tampa area.

BUT, if you prefer dolphins, manatees, and bird shows in the wild instead of SeaWorld or a zoo, AND prefer a seashell museum instead of a Dali museum [ which by the way, IS excellent ! ]; then consider Sanibel/ Captiva.

Edited: 12:36 pm, July 16, 2014
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 4
4. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

You see lots of wild dolphins all up and down the Gulf. Yes, even St. Pete beach and Clearwater beach.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Lol!! I didnt realize that adding 's was a big deal.. I won't ever forget that now! Now my other question is.. Am i crazy for going to florida in august?? Will it be humid sticky and stormy the whole time??

Orlando
reviews: 2
6. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Humid sticky, yes.

Stormy all day, usually not, but the tropical systems will determine that. It has not been all that nice the last couple of days in Orlando, but it usually rains only for a couple of hours.

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 1
7. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Just returned from Ft. Myers on Saturday. It was hot and humid but it's usually that way in Ohio this time of year so no biggie. Plus you have the nice breeze coming in off the Gulf that makes it A-Ok ;)

We have been to St. Pete and Ft. Myers and there are some definite differences, as noted above. The biggest complaint my kids had was walking on the shells on some parts of the beach in Ft. Myers. I did not mind but their little feet complained, according to them. However, water shoes would have helped with that. My boys were old enough to think they were too cool for those!

Do your research and I would also include Sanibel in that search as it is a whole different world than St. Pete or Ft. Myers. No tall hotels or condos, very nature oriented, no fast food places, etc. It's kind of a step back in time to a kinder, old world style of Florida! Love it there as well.

Boston...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Yes, you are crazy to go there in August! I have been to Florida several times in the summer (I am a slow learner, I guess). I will NEVER go there again at that time. I like to be able to breathe when I walk outside. Yes, we have hot and humid days here in summer but not as intense and relentless as there.

That is my opinion. I think you would agree with me, being from Canada

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Kent
reviews: 41
10. Re: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??

we've been in july/aug and tho it is hot and humid we didn't have much rain and are going again in sept for 3 weeks. sometimes if ya tied to dates then you either go or miss out, it's our anniversary so we'll go amd make the best f it

Reply to: Fort myers beach or st petes beach??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted