We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oswego,Il.
reviews: 25
McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

While our visit to FMB each Feb is not to see McDonalds I have to say it saddens me to hear that the one on FMB has shut it's doors. It was always real handy to stop for a break and sit outside and people watch a couple of times each year. From what I've read the owner said revenue was down 20/25% for the year? This is just another empty building in a great location which begs one to wonder; How and when will the Beach and the County get their act together with a real plan for this bottle necking corner. With so many nice updates by the pier this has been the elephant in the room for far too long

52 replies to this topic
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 6
1. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

We notices that too. Maybe something good will come in and take it over.

Plymouth, Minnesota
2. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Was by there today and it was dark. No offense to those who love McD's, but I'm kinda glad to see it go. Local businesses are what it is about on the beach. Lots of small, quaint places to eat and enjoy the local "flavor". Before anyone "toasts" me on the DQ not being a local business, It has been there since the early 70's at least.- it is a beach mainstay.

Plymouth, Minnesota
3. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Was by there today and it was dark. No offense to those who love McD's, but I'm kinda glad to see it go. Local businesses are what it is about on the beach. Lots of small, quaint places to eat and enjoy the local "flavor". Before anyone "toasts" me on the DQ not being a local business, It has been there since the early 70's at least.- it is a beach mainstay.

Cherry Hill, NJ
4. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Wow - interesting. I recall from reading the McDs reports (I worked in corp real estate for them at one time) when that opened on Dec. 26, 1993. I watched with interest their sales and first year (1994) it was about $1.5M. It seemed to slip when Waffle House opened a few years later and before I left McDs in 2001 I think it was just at $1.0M. The leases are done for 20 years so it was decision time. After the initial 20 year term there usually are four (4) five (5) year options, generally increasing 10% every five years (so as NOT to compound). Obviously the sales were not there to carve out a decent return for the franchisee, aka owner (of the business license) - operator. From my knowledge, its very hard to maintain a McDs (the company always owns or is the master leaseholder of the real estate and subleases to franchisee - ALWAYS) at a million because of the chart rent you have to pay McDs (here I bet it was the minimum 8.5% PLUS a G&A fee of 4% PLUS the ad kickins of like 6%. Next in all likelihood to go is Sharkey McDs. That should have been reloed to next to the the BoA & CVS down Summerlin years ago in my opinion.

Edited: 9:32 am, December 06, 2013
Utica, Michigan
5. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

That is a prime spot and somebody or some company should be able to make money at that location. I wish I had the capital ($$) to invest in that project because it would be good bye Michigan and hello palm trees with a Golden Arch!!

Cherry Hill, NJ
6. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Yes! We need a McDs in FMB!

Boston...
reviews: 5
7. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Maybe people have been reading the recent news about their ammonia treated beef or what has been found in their chicken nuggets.

No one should mourn the closing of a McDonalds. Any replacement would be an improvement

Plymouth, Minnesota
8. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

"Yes! We need a McDs in FMB!"... I don't think so

Minnesota
reviews: 69
9. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

I love ANY town sans McD's. Yuck. Locally owned businesses that reflect the character of the area are much more attractive and memorable. Plus, the nutrition factor, etc., etc.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 8
10. Re: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...

Sharkys McD's closed Sharkys, tore down that building and built a new McD's in its place.

Reply to: McDonalds Closed and other thoughts...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted