We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choice help

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N.J. USA
reviews: 2
Hotel choice help

We very spontaneously made air reservations to RSW in Feb. Now we need a place to stay. We have never been to the Florida west coast. We are active 60+ year olds looking for kayaking, swimming, bird watching, and good walks. Is Ft Myers Beach a good choice? (Hotels in Sanibel are out of our budget.)

I have found availability at the Outrigger, The Holiday Inn and the Sandpiper. Can anyone offer any information which will help me decide? Other suggestions will be appreciated also.

Pompano Beach...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Hotel choice help

Yes, FMB is definetly a good choice, be sure to check out lovers key ....they offer kayaks rentals and plenty of wildlife to see. The Sandpiper is very nice, I have stayed there and it is a nice... located mid island near publix,also behind publix is the bayfront bistro...if you want a little more upscale dinner...great food great atmosphere... the holiday inn is located at the southend which is the quieter part of the island and has a tiki bar/ restaurant might be a little busier ..I think they also have music....either one would be a good choice. Feb is the high season so prices will be up and traffic will be heavier then usual.

Maybe rent a pontoon from Fishtale marina and explore the back bays....you will probably see dolphins. Be sure to go to time square in the evening to watch the sunset from the pier and check out the shops and restaurants...You can always do a day trip to Sanibel ....there is a $6 fee for the bridge.

Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
2. Re: Hotel choice help

Hi, Jersey Judy.

Just wondering if you may have given any though to staying bayside on Sanibel as it sounds like the ideal place for the activities you enjoy. You might take a look at Mariner Pointe...some of their units have been very nicely renovated and the one bedroom condos rent for a fairly reasonable fee even though February is high season. If at all interested, you could see what might be available from private owners through www.vrbo.com.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
3. Re: Hotel choice help

http://www.vrbo.com/3494481ha

To follow up...I just checked VRBO and found the above unit newly listed for rental. You might take a look and see what you think as they show availability in February (rare)..

I do not own this unit and I do not know the people who do...just trying to be helpful. Family members have owned several lovely gulffront condos on Sanibel, but I gave Mariner Pointe a try last year and will be returning this year. It really is a pretty nice home base for a Sanibel getaway.

Edited: 11:26 pm, December 14, 2012
N.J. USA
4. Re: Hotel choice help

Thanks, Grandma Mac. However, I have not been able to find any condos willing to rent for less than a week. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be very happy.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 9
5. Re: Hotel choice help

Outrigger and HI have Tiki Bars with entertainment, starts and ends early. Pinchers Crab Shack runs the Tiki Bar/Restaurant. HI is across the street from CVS and Villa Santini Plaza with more shopping and Restaurants. Outrigger has a Cafe' on site and is across the street from a 7-11 and Charleys Grill and Salad Bar.

Sandpiper was taken over by Pink Shell and was newly decorated, no Restaurant. Not really walking distance to anything. The Beach at Outrigger and HI is VERY wide, beautiful white sugar sand. I have walked the Beach from Outrigger to HI and back.

Minnetonka...
reviews: 42
6. Re: Hotel choice help

Are you only interested in being on the beach and in a hotel? If not, I know of a very nice 1 bedroom condo 300 yards from the beach. It's fully furnished with a full kitchen and very reasonably priced. I do not own this place, nor am I related to the owner. Just rented from them and had a great experience.

N.J. USA
7. Re: Hotel choice help

I'd love to hear about this condo. COuld you please provide contact information. Is it listed on VRBo?

reviews: 38
8. Re: Hotel choice help

I am currently at FMB...we are staying at the Gullwing Beach Resort (located in the middle of Outrigger & Holiday Inn). The amenities here are WONDERFUL! I booked via a package with orbitz.com and located a promo code for Orbitz to add on top of the discounted price, so I had to try this place. We love it. It is home away from home, with a beach view. We have a 1 BR, 2 full bath unit with an ocean view off the balcony, along with a full kitchen, giant living room, etc. Last year we stayed at the Outrigger. Loved it, but didn't have all the nice "newness" of here at the Gullwing. We will come here again, as it is a very easy beach walk to both the HI and Outrigger.

Another thing we LOVE.... check the internet for low tide and get up in the morning and walk down town the area in front of Holiday Inn... you will find a ton of star fish and sand dollars, as well as other sea life. Today we were within 20 feet of dolphins that swam up to frolic in front of us!

No matter where you pick, you will have a great time. Everyone here is very friendly..

Let me know if you have any questions since I am here right now!

Sandy

PS - Happy Hour Deals - Can't beat Bayside Bar and Grill and great hidden dinner place - the Fish House is behind the Santini Plaza just a few blocks from this condo. GREAT experience, great food!

Have fun!

reviews: 38
9. Re: Hotel choice help

We are at the Gullwing Beach Resort now. Found a GREAT deal on Orbiz.com and added a promo code I found off Google.com to make it a great price!

No matter where you pick, you will have fun. It is great here, and everyone is super friendly!

Let me know if you have any questions since I am here now.

Enjoy!

Sandy

Edited: 3:53 pm, December 16, 2012
Minnetonka...
reviews: 42
10. Re: Hotel choice help

JerseyJudi , just sent you a message with contact information for the 1 bedroom condo/apt. Let me know if you have other questions. GREAT owners, GREAT place to stay.

Terri

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach