We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
reviews: 5
Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

We have travelled to FMB many times over the years after visiting my parents in Ocala but this will be the first year we spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day on the beach. I've tried to do a little research as to what others do as "tradition" for the holidays when they are away from home and at the beach but come up with nothing more than where to eat. Please keep in mind we have a 14yo and an almost 3 yo. For those who are experienced Christmas travellers, what are your family traditions at the beach during the holiday?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 8
1. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

I enjoy the palm trees all lit up and the Poinsettia Christmas Tree in Time Square, the Boat Parade and driving around to see all the Homes decorated.

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 6
2. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

Ditto what Beachbratz said. I also look forward to Christmas Eve services at Chapel by the Sea. There is an earlier service geared more toward children/families and a later service as well.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 4
3. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

That's a hard one as there is not that much to do around FMB during Christmas time. When we lived there, we used to cook a Prime Rib in the oven for Christmas dinner and spend the evening playing games with family. On Christmas day, we would make sandwiches out of the prime rib leftovers along with other goodies and head out on the boat for the day. Then we would come back home and watch a good movie.

As far as decorated homes, there are not too many places that I could recommend. It seems like there is less and less of that each year that goes by. The boat parade is okay. Being boaters, we used to go out and watch but it wasn't really anything special after you have seen it a couple of times.

Just make the holidays about spending time with family because there isn't much around FMB to turn into a tradition each year. Good food, good laughs, quality time together make the best memories.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
4. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

If the weather is good, enjoy the beach in the afternoon. Some people like going to the movies on xmas night ,because many new movies open xmas day.

Milwaukee, WI
5. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

I've never been to the beach at Christmas, and not sure how soon you are going to be there before Christmas, but it would be fun to make and exchange seashell ornaments!

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 64
6. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

YES Andie . We made starfish ornaments one year and carefully stored them and had them for years!

For years we had Christmas in the Tarpon Springs area. We would show up early Christmas day at the local Greek restaurant and have a wonderful breakfast with the local fishermen. Thanks for bringing back these memories from the late '70's

Milwaukee, WI
7. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

I think I'm going to do that even though I'm going in April. :)

Nashville, TN
8. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

@andie- I really like that idea! That is exactly the types of things I am trying to come up with for this trip to make the holiday special. I am trying to find my mini Christmas tree to take with us so we can decorate it with items from the beach.

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
9. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

There is a group at the Sanibel Community Center that makes all kinds of ornaments and whatnot from shells. For a while there they were offering classes at the FMB library; my sister and I took a few. We made several types of Christmas ornaments - it was really fun. If you ask at the library they should be able to give you more information :)

Plymouth, Minnesota
10. Re: Christmas Beach Vacation Traditions?

Nothing better than spending the Holiday on FMB. You can start a new tradition

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach