We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in October? Where to stay?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 2
Vacation in October? Where to stay?

We are starting to plan a vacation for Oct. 4-15 and are considering Sanibel or somewhere near Ft. Meyers.

We will be traveling with our 2 kids (10) and (9) and would really like to find a place on the beach so that the kids can swim in the ocean. They have never been to the Gulf before as most of our Ocean visits have been to San Diego.

I am wondering if anyone can comment on the weather in this area in beginning/middle of October? Is it warm enough to swim in the Ocean and lay on the beach? We are also considering a Carbbean vacation if the weather isn't the best during that time.

Also, any recommendations on best places/area to stay and what to do while there?

Thank you so much!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 9
1. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

October is beautiful, no crowds or traffic. Start looking for Beach front condos..

Neptune Inn is newly redone with a pool. Outrigger is nice with a Tiki Bar. The Holiday Inn is nice too. The 900 block would be Time Square area. 7300 would be South end near Villa Santini Plaza..

We have a cool pool with slides and squirt guns. Naples has a zoo and a new children's museum

Orlando
reviews: 2
2. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

If there are no tropical systems, it is beautiful in October. On the odd chance there is one, it can be miserable for a couple of days.

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 6
3. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

October is my favorite time of year. Though technically still hurricane season, it is usually just beautiful. Not so crowded, off- or shoulder-season rates. Personally I think Fort Myers Beach is much more kid-friendly than Sanibel. Lots of watersports available right on the beach, fishing charters, boat tours, kayaking...

Check www.vrbo.com or www.homeaway.com for condo and home rentals by owner. Pink Shell on the north end has a kid's program and a great kid's pool (and a spa). Edison Beach House is right next to Times Square and has several different room styles including two bedroom suites.

There is plenty to do in the area, including Zoomer's, a brand-new family amusement center with midway rides, arcade games and laser tag just a few miles off the island.

Princeton, KY
reviews: 48
4. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

We have our 4th October trip to Fort Myers Beach planned, also. The weather there is beautiful that time of year. As a matter of fact, when we were there 3 years ago, it was record high temps (100's)..almost too warm! We stay at the south end of the island. It is less congested and quieter. We love FMB!

Ft. Myers Beach, Fl
reviews: 25
5. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

My favorite month here. Love October. Family friendly island. Lots of options to stay at. I like all the suggestions already made.

Westerville, Ohio
reviews: 13
6. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

We just returned from our first trip to FMB. We stayed at 'Vacation Villas' (2 bedroom 2 bath condo; direct gulf front.). It's at the very North end of FMB. We loved it. It's about 1 mile from 'Time Square where there are many restaurants/shops/bars. Easy walk by beach or sidewalk or take the trolley for $.50 per person each way.

Our unit (#204) was very nice and spaceous with open kitchen and screened Lanuai. Well maitained. Stocked with beach chairs and umbrellas. The A/C and icemaker kept up with our heavy demands. Amazing sunsets over Sanibel nightly. Great pool overlooking a wide beach. Daily dolphin sightings. We rented from Lahaina Island Accomodations and paid $1000 out the door for 7 nights (I think we got a deal here as the unit we originally reserved in Seaside Condos was under construction). I would recommend Lahaina as they made it right.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
reviews: 9
7. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

Very nice review, Love the North end, Thank You

8. Re: Vacation in October? Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 08, 2013