We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Car Rental

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 1
Advantage Car Rental

Cheap rate until you get charged for fees that were not explained. In fact nothing was explained or gone over.When I returned the car The bill was $100 dollars more than I expected. When I picked the car up I got nothing but a smart ** comment from the girl behind the counter who then shoved the contract in front of me and said very little. When I returned the car she claimed that there was a line and that I rushed her ( I was there and one more couple. When I questioned her statement I received no answer and the whole office circled the wagons. The manager entertained me with hypothetical stories of why It was okay to charge me for insurance that I didn't wan't but signed for due to the charges not being explained. Corporate simply had the manager of the Ft Myers facility call me and repeat the same nonsense I had to listed to when I returned the car. Again my questions were not answered. In asking the Customer Service Rep at the corporate office I was told that all charges should be explained by the counter rep. When I brought this up the manager went of on another tangent and never addressed my question. He then told me there was nothing he could do (apparently neither the corporate office OR the local offices have any power to resolve issues.

6 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Advantage Car Rental

They have the same reputation in the Tampa area. I don't know how they stay in business.

Edited: 11:08 am, September 06, 2013
Cherry Hill, NJ
reviews: 6
2. Re: Advantage Car Rental

Filed for bankruptcy in November. Apparently Sixt (HUGE Eurpoean car rental firm based in Germany) is seeking to buy them. Sixt is seeking quick and easy entry into US market (they have some FL outlets but not RSW) and by buying Advantage seek that foothold; however, another entity, Catalyst Capital of Canada, outbid Sixt in December in a BK sale. Sixt is challenging the BK sale saying it was an 'inside deal" and that they bid $500K more than Catalyst. So stayed tuned on the future of Advantage - the Sixt suit was just filed after the New Year according to news reports. FOr what its worth, I have rented twice from Advantage, DFW & BOS, once off Priceline or similar and the other through their website and never felt pushed or had an issue with the charges. Have not rented in FL from Advantage however.

Edited: 7:27 am, January 12, 2014
Cherry Hill, NJ
3. Re: Advantage Car Rental

Bumped

Cherry Hill, NJ
4. Re: Advantage Car Rental

ok this is true

Cherry Hill, NJ
5. Re: Advantage Car Rental

PLEASE BE ADVISED: ADVANTAGE CEASES OPERATIONS AS OF TODAY: RIDGELAND — Franchise Services of North America Inc.’s (FSNA’s) wholly owned subsidiary, Simply Wheelz, LLC, which does business as Advantage Rent a Car, has ceased operations at 30 Advantage locations.

Advantage has reached an agreement with Dollar Rent A Car whereby Dollar Rent A Car will provide car rental services to those customers who hold active Advantage reservations at all closed locations.

The decision to cease operations at certain Advantage locations was made in connection with the previously announced proposed sale of Advantage assets to The Catalyst Capital Group Inc. (on behalf of one or more funds managed by it) as the prevailing purchaser in the auction of certain Advantage assets as part of the Simply Wheelz insolvency proceedings, as approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi.

Simply Wheelz says it hopes to complete its sale to Catalyst in the first quarter of 2014. However, the company will need to complete a number of procedural matters and arrangements with third parties before this sale can be consummated. One such matter involves a careful internal review of the 70 operating locations across the United States.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 64
6. Re: Advantage Car Rental

I just returned home from a four day trip to the Ft. Myers area and chose Advantage despite its off-terminal location because I'd had generally positive experiences with locations in Denver and San Fransisco. The one thing I've learned about discount rental companies is that they are definitely going to work harder to up sell insurance, roadside assistance, fuel replacement, and other add-ons. I advise my friends who aren't frequent travelers to take a few deep breaths before you approach the counter and be prepared to be polite and persistent, decline all the add ons (do you homework in advance, but many people who already have car insurance won't benefit from having duplicate coverage provided by the rental company. I've previously found Advantage to be more aggressive than the other discount rentals with the add ons, and the gal I encountered at RSW location was exceptionally crafty at slipping things in. I eventually had a conversation with a manager who seemed eager to hear details about my experience. I personally would rent with Advantage again, but I'd be hesitant to recommend them to anyone who wasn't a savvy traveler and very assertive about declining up-sells.

Reply to: Advantage Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted