We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Hi there,

I am planning a trip with my boyfriend for 4 days and 5 nights . We are 24 years old, looking to see the best of Florida's natural beauty (beaches/swamps/parks/coral reefs etc) and a bit of the city life in Florida. We are hoping not to spend too much time driving because we are visiting for such a short time.

So far, this is what we have:

Wednesday- Land in Fort Lauderdale, travel straight to Fort Myers/Naples.. (for 2 days)

We are not sure if it is worth travelling to that side of the state.. Would love advice from you all.

After that, travel to the east end of Florida- to Key Largo for snorkelling/see the coral reefs (1 day). Next, go to Miami to see the city and famous beach (1 day). And shopping/beaches in Fort Lauderdale the day of the flight back to Canada (1 day).

Please let me know if travelling to Fort Myers/Naples is worth it, and if so what we can expect to do. I've heard Fort Myers is great for a young crowd, and that Naples has great parks? But every area seems to have parks and swamps and outdoor activities so I am having a hard time choosing which place to visit on the west side of the state, if at all.

And since we are students and on a budget, Naples seems to be the one place we can scratch off the list. So my question then is, is it worth driving to the other end of the city for Fort Myers? Or is staying on the east end of Florida sufficient?

Really appreciate you time. Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

For such a short time, no, I wouldn't drive over to the Ft. Myers area. Go to South Beach instead - it's more your age group. You didn't say what time of year you're visiting (or did I miss that). If it is this Summer, it is brutally hot and humid outside. Be sure to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen.

One more thing ... were you able to get a rental place that will rent to those under 25?

Edited: 3:03 pm, August 20, 2013
Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Thanks so much for your reply :)

We booked flights at the end of September. We are visiting from Sept 25-29 (Wed to Sunday).

We found a car rental place that charges extra for renters under 25. It's a shame I can't fast forward 5 months until I turn 25. But the extra cost isn't too much, I think about 15 dollars extra per day was the cheapest I could find. It would be close to 200 dollars for the 5 days.

Also, if you can answer this: Are jellyfish a problem if we try snorkelling or scuba diving at Key Largo? I keep reading about jellyfish infested waters. I am quite concerned now because I am allergic to a lot of things and don't want to put myself at risk.

Thanks again for your advice!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 75
3. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Do you have hotel reservations? Some hotels in Florida require you to be 25 to book a room - not like Canada.

Edited: 5:00 am, August 21, 2013
Orlando
reviews: 2
4. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

"We hope not to spend too much time driving", but you want to drive all the way across the state twice?

The north side of Ft Myers Beach is good for young crowds, but it is more crowded. If you want to see nature, you are better off on the other end of the beach or Sanibel Island where us old fogies stay.

www.maps.google.com for distances.

Tampa, Florida
5. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Haven't heard of any jellyfish sightings so far but the end of September is still quite a way off.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 5
6. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

I agree, for the short time you have continue on the South Beach. FMB is fun for young people but you will waste too much time driving. Have fun!

Waterloo, Iowa
reviews: 1
7. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

We go to the west coast area a lot (from Iowa). If you are into urban nightlife, etc Miami, etc is better. A bit less of a "party" atmosphere on west coast, especially Naples. Naples is a artsy, NOT built up on the beach, more of a quiet place to go. (although Naples is no longer a "small" town) You're close to less visited wildlife areas on west coast. Everglades of course is available on EITHER coast but you'll find it is more a typical busy national park by Miami side. I agree with others, this is too short a stay to drive over to Naples area, is better to stay on one side or other. We don't like Miami area, too urban, but many do especially if you like an atmosphere of odd folks showing off in popular beach areas. It will be HOT and HUMID. One final comment, given your time frame I would have recommended Panama City Beach...nice beaches, good nightlife if you want it, but able to stay much cheaper than Naples or MIami on the beach. Perhaps less wildlife areas there to visit, but some nice parks not too far. PCB isn't as tropical, not good for deep winter, but fall and spring are great. Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Will keep that in mind, thank you :)

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Decided not to travel to the other side. Will travel down to South Beach! Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL

Thank you! Decided not to drive to the other side of the state.

Reply to: Young couple from Canada, need advice, first time in FL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers