We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 3
Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

We are a couple in our early/mid 40s who need a 4 day getaway for some R&R. We have been to Key West and LOVED the fresh fish (we're foodies), small town feel and shopping and dining options.

We will have a car (if we can get a deal). I want to book soon to let my husband's boss know he'll be off (surprise for DH). It's our first time in this area; been to the Keys (loved it all), Orlando area and Ft. Lauderdale/Miami areas (loved too, but looking for different feel - too much big city).

We're looking for the following:

~nice beaches/water

~will get a hotel or willing to rent a place right on the beach perhaps to have a kitchenette/walk out to beach/privacy

~nice pool (overlooking beach or close to beach)

~access to great local dining (fish)

~will drive out one evening for outlet shopping

~evening neighborhood walk around/drinks/dining (not a requirement; we could drive there one or two nights if it is within an hour)

Someone mentioned Siesta Key area to us, but on a map it looks far from anything. We'll take suggestions even if it doesn't meet all the criteria; I am willing to negotiate on criteria.

Edited: 9:17 am, March 16, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 21
1. Re: Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

There are a lot of excellent beaches ion between St pete and FMB, some of them are foodie heaven. Look at Anna Maria island, lots of good food to be had there and excellent beaches with water clearer than some places like FMB.

Lido Key, for it's proximity to ST armands for dining, and DT sarasotas great food choices could be a good idea too.

Boston...
reviews: 80
2. Re: Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

We've wintered in the Naples area for the past two years and will do it again next year. Many, many beautiful Gulf beaches, lots of restaurants of all sorts from $ to $$$$. The 5th Ave area is great for walking, browsing, dining, snacking, shopping ... any or all. Plenty of shopping from discount to high end all throughout the area. Outlet shopping at huge Miromar outlet mall 15-20 minutes away. I think it's got everything you want. Also, if you play golf Naples is the golf capital of the US, with more holes per capita than anywhere else. If you fly in, check flights to Fort Myers. Might get cheaper flights and cheaper rental car by flying into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami ... about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.

Marshfield...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

Take a look at Englewood. Very quiet, but has just about everything you're looking for. There are motels on the beach on Manasota Key, most with pools. These motels are small - not your highrises - and not fancy. But they're clean and the one at the end of Manasota Key that I stayed at had a kitchenette. The Englewood/Venice area is full of excellent restaurants, and the beaches all connect so walking the beach after dinner to watch the sunset is popular and beautiful. In fact, there are two very good restaurants across the street from Englewood Beach where you can watch the sunset. Also, the walk from there across the causeway to Rt. 776 is beautiful with several places where you can stop and watch the dolphins up close. Large shopping malls are limited, but if you are willing to take a little ride you can easily find them within 30-45 min. Englewood and Venice have several smaller shopping centers.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 21
4. Re: Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

I have a home in the englewood area and do like it obv. But not sure the food is up to the standards of elsewhere that I mentioned. But it does tend to be better value too.

5. Re: Ft Myers Beach, Naples or St. Pete's - R&R & other requests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 20, 2014