We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

My husband and I booked a flight for ourselves and our soon to be one year old into RSW (Fort Meyers) early March. Initially booked a resort in Sanibel but are 2nd guessing our choice. Any suggestions on places to stay? I've spent hours on TA and have not found anything that seems great all around. Would like to be right on the beach with a balcony so when our daughter naps/sleeps we can still enjoy the ocean. Close enough to restaurants/bars/shops but we will also have a car. Would also like to have a pool. We haven't been able to travel much so we'd like something nice. A lot of the condos look really dumpy. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Would just like something within an hour drive of the airport.

1 post
2 reviews
1. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

I'm with you Jenniferann! My husband and I are looking for the same exact things. The only thing different is that our daughter isn't here yet! She's due in May, and we want one last getaway with all the same ammenities you mentioned. I am going to watch your post and see what people recommend. Why are you reconsidering Sanibel?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Congrats :) I get the friends and family rate for Marriott hotels and I currently have a reservation booked at the Sanibel Marriott. It sounds pretty nice but it's over the harbor, not the actual beach although it's a short drive to the beach. Which may be okay. This is our first trip with our little one so I'm not sure she'd be fond of the beach anyhow - she may prefer the pool. I wanted to make sure we explored all of our options. I hope we don't regret this - it will be her first flight! Best of luck!

Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
40,377 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Well, that means you aren't on sanibel at all, and will have to factor in the costs of a daily $6 toll plus parking fees on island.

Have a look at the Marriott on Marco island. I prefer Sanibel myself, but you won't be on Sanibel and that Marriott is on the beach.

Utica, Michigan
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
4. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Try Pink Shell Beach Resort (Fort Myers Beach).

Level Contributor
84 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

I would recommend a timeshare rental. Even if you aren't an owner, most timeshare resorts rent out by the week and you would have a separate bedroom(s), usually full kitchen, and in Ft. Myers Beach, most are directly on the beach with screened in porches. One way to locate them is to go to RCI.com, look at "resort directory", and find some that look good to you. Then call those places directly for rates and availability. There are also some timeshare resorts on Sanibel but they may or may not be directly on the beach.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Check out the Edison Beach condos right on the beach and you can walk to many restaurants. The Diamond Head Beach Resort and the Pink Shell are right on the beach and near everything. There are many condos along FMB. The southern end of the island has several lovely condo such as the Gulf Wing snd many more, I am sure you will be able to find something lovely condos to meet your needs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Jennifer Ann....would be helpful to know what sort of activities you and your husband anticipate doing? Are you primarily planning on lots of beach time, but also want someplace that provides sun shelter / umbrellas for your little one? Or...would you be looking for a bit more "active" vacation...sightseeing, watersports, lots of dining out (etc.). That may have some bearing on the Ft. Myers Beach / Sanibel decision. Would also be helpful to know where you are currently planning to stay on Sanibel. There are some lovely waterfront condos there with balconies / lanais where you can enjoy a direct water view while the baby is napping.

Each location has a different feel...Sanibel is definitely more laid back, but there is plenty to "do" depending on how you prefer to spend your vacation time. Fort Myers Beach is also very nice, but has a quite different "vibe".

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

Just an additional FYI....if you and your husband are "active" types, bicycles can be rented on Sanibel with fairly comfy trailers for the little one. You can ride to many shops, restaurants, conservation areas, (etc.) if that type of activity has any appeal....the weather in early March "should" be good for that kind of activity...not too hot!

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

I agree with Daisy....the pink shell is perfect if you have little ones....

you will be able to walk or take the trolly to times square in the evening ...to watch the sunset by the pier....get an ice cream and check out the shops

and the Gullwing condo's are beautiful....but a long walk to the beach as it is very wide there. but located on the southend of the island, the quieter end. closer to santini plaza that has restaurants and behind there is the fishhouse ....also a cvs and 7/11.

Gullwing and diamond head

the sanibel marriott is on the bay and you would have to drive to the beach and pay the bridge toll and $2 hr to park at a public beach.....march is high season so availability and prices will be high. Book soon!

10. Re: Ft Meyers/Sanibel/Any other suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 27, 2014