We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

This will be our third trip to Sanibel and each time the rental cost went WAY up. Saw review on Advantage; had seen that rates were lowest, but am concerned about missing flight home with an extra stop and shuttle and small office. Anyone with car return and shuttle to airport experience?

Thanks - Kathleen

54 replies to this topic
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
11. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

After I added my original posted last night. I sent an email to Budget through their web site. I honestly didn't think I'd ever hear from them. However, I just received an email from their customer service person advising they are sorry I was inconvenienced and they are honoring the original quote so I'll receive a credit. I'm impressed with the professionalism and quick resolution to the problem. Guess I will be renting from Budget again after all. :-) From one happy camper!

SW Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
12. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Do NOT rent from this company. We had a reservation thru Expedia and are local. Needed car for long trip for good mpg to save $$ and wear on our car. Got there,no car available for our category. Offered to upgrade to a 4runner said it got 30mpg. Looked it up on my smartphone, it gets 19 mpg. Then offered a Versa for 4 people. Son is 6'2", so how is that working . Then brought up a Kia, then said it had mechanical issues, then a few minutes later offered it again. I know when I'm being lied to and jerked around. It seemed many of the cars had mechanical issues.

We left, reserved with Enterprise airport. Excellent. Even called to check we were satisfied next day. Highly recommended.

Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
13. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

I just wanted to tell you that I had a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE with Advantage end of August - 2013. The clerks at Front Desk were friendly and all, BUT, when I returned the car the fellow in the parking lot kept my paperwork. I went to front desk to turn in the car key and the girl printed me out an Invoice and I threw it in my purse and ran out to Shuttle Bus to take me to airport. Well, when I got home I ready the Invoice and they were charging me double the rate, yes double, because they said that I asked for Car Rental INSURANCE. I declined car rental insurance!!!!! I called Advantage 3 times, got 3 different Advantage employees that all talked crap to me. One of them was a man and let me tell you he was nasty as hell to me........NASTY!!!! He made me feel like "Gotcha Lady"....... I will never ever rent from them again......never. And besides if you take a look at their fleet of cars in parking lot, they are all mish-mashed.....one of this, one of that.......kind of scary.

Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
14. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Try calling Sensible Car Rental, 866-433-9830. They are by far the cheapest in Fort Myers. My parents go to Fort Myers every year for 2 weeks and found this gem and now swear by them. They are a small shop but have great service. I took my family there last year, we got a minivan for 8 days for $448. The next least expensive location was over $300 more. DISCLAIMER: unlike most rental companies, you will not get a fancy new car with all the bells and whistles. Our minivan was at least 5 years old but it ran perfectly and was clean. Was it older, sure. There were a couple of small scratches on the outside, but who cares, I was spending my day on the beach. The best part, I gave them my flight plans and they picked me up right at my baggage pickup. My flight leaving Fort Myers was 6:30am so I had to drop off my car at about 4:30am. For $30 they were able to accommodate this and they were right on time. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out very well. Four parties in our group all rented from this location and it turned out well.

1 post
15. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

We just rented a car from firefly thru price line. All the travel websites list firefly at the airport. They are not. The are located in a closet in the holiday inn. The moved from the airport months ago. They blame the web sites but they had a different story for every customer. We spent the first hour of our trip waiting on a shuttle. The car was OK but I asked the agent to note the scratches and he told me to take a cell phone picture. Firefly was cheaper but not wurth the hassle.

Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
16. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

All those off-site car rental places you have to be careful. We rented from one (off-site) and they charged me wrong on my bill. I was already on my flight home and looked at the receipt. They tried to charge me for Insurance that I did NOT take out on the vehicle, I declined. But they said that I opted for it. What a lie!!! So never again.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
335 reviews
17. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Onondagahill - What company was it?

Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
18. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Advantage. Never again!

Level Contributor
567 posts
6 reviews
19. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Interesting to note just this past week:

PLEASE BE ADVISED: ADVANTAGE CEASES OPERATIONS AS OF TODAY: RIDGELAND — Franchise Services of North America Inc.’s (FSNA’s) wholly owned subsidiary, Simply Wheelz, LLC, which does business as Advantage Rent a Car, has ceased operations at 30 Advantage locations.

Advantage has reached an agreement with Dollar Rent A Car whereby Dollar Rent A Car will provide car rental services to those customers who hold active Advantage reservations at all closed locations.

The decision to cease operations at certain Advantage locations was made in connection with the previously announced proposed sale of Advantage assets to The Catalyst Capital Group Inc. (on behalf of one or more funds managed by it) as the prevailing purchaser in the auction of certain Advantage assets as part of the Simply Wheelz insolvency proceedings, as approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi.

Simply Wheelz says it hopes to complete its sale to Catalyst in the first quarter of 2014. However, the company will need to complete a number of procedural matters and arrangements with third parties before this sale can be consummated. One such matter involves a careful internal review of the 70 operating locations across the United States.

Monaca, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
20. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Couldn't agree more with this comment. Just returned from Fort Meyers and was deceived by the web site stating the rentals were at the airport. Much to my surprise when I looked for Firefly at Terminal I was instructed about where to wait for the shuttle. This company does literally work out of a closet at the Holiday Inn. That being said, I would believe it or not, consider booking with them again. Shuttle ride wasn't that bad and people are nice. Just remember its at least 5 miles from airport.

Reply to: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted