We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sept Iles, Canada
reviews: 9
Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

This will be our third trip to Sanibel and each time the rental cost went WAY up. Saw review on Advantage; had seen that rates were lowest, but am concerned about missing flight home with an extra stop and shuttle and small office. Anyone with car return and shuttle to airport experience?

Thanks - Kathleen

34 replies to this topic
Tonawanda, New York
reviews: 5
1. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

We are renting a car through Hotwire. We pick it up from Budget at the Airport, so I assume we will return it back to the Terminal.

Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 4
2. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

I JUST used this website over the weekend to book our car for our October Sanibel trip. I found that their rate was $100 cheaper than the cheapest rate i had seen elsewhere (we are only paying $250 for a midsized rental and also got a 2nd driver free of charge). They are a 3rd party vendor that has negotiated rates with the major rental companies. they do not require a credit card at the time of booking, and the confirmation email comes directly from the company that you end up booking through (in my case, Thrifty). I went on Thrifty's website today and looked up my reservation and it looks perfect. As far as i can tell, there is no risk with using them to book, so request a quote!

http://www.discountfloridacarrental.com/

Sept Iles, Canada
3. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Yes, Budget counter is at airport. I was asking about returning an Advantage since another member had been pleased with service and price, but indicated office, not at airport, ws small, so I ws concerned re geting through formalities and back on a shuttle to make flight.

Tip for anyone not used to the ploy of 'pay for a tank and not have to fill up at end of trip'. Imagine how much gas the agencies get for free that way? Who actually empties a tank.. There is a station convenient to airport. Also the insurance hard sell - I was so nervous having refused theirs I called my agent in Canada to reassure myself i was covered. I was.

Thanks

Sept Iles, Canada
4. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Thanks Sarahw -

Just tried your suggested site. Also will book two contracts; We arrive in Dec and leave Jan - booking two separate weeks is cheaper. And since we pick up someone at airport mid-trip it works perfectly.

Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 24
5. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

http://www.discountfloridacarrental.com/ Discount Florida Car Rental web site

indicates free extra driver with Thrifty at Fort Myers. -Problem is no one at Thrifty

knows it.

Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 4
6. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

We ended up booking our reservation thu southwest.com and canceling the one through discount Florida car rentals. As the trip got closer, southwest was able to provide the best rate. We got a mid size car thru hertz for $200 a week. No second driver but still a good deal for the area.

Media, PA
reviews: 15
7. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

We always use Dollar at FOrt Myers Airport and always have a wonderful experience. Real easy being it is right when you come out from retreiving your bags...you cross the walkway go inside then out to your car and off you go. My nephew works at Enterprise and even with his discount he doesn't beat the price we get a Dollar....

Westland, Michigan
8. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

I just need a ride from fort myers to punta gorda april 4th

Fort Worth, TX
reviews: 23
9. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Rented through Budget at Fort Myers airport because they had the best rate. Big mistake! We requested a compact size - Ford Escape or similar. We did not want the smaller economy because we had two passengers and 2 large bags. Upon arrival at their counter we were informed the only "compact" left was a VW Beetle. Being a former Beetle owner, I knew we could not fit the 2 suitcases and carry on bags in the trunk. Since we were making a few stops we didn't want our bags visible in the back seat. Was advised our only option was to upgrade to a mid size (aka intermediate) Toyota Corolla at $10 more per day! I talked to two agents, one of which said she checked with a supv, but to no avail. Will never rent through Budget again! Should have stayed with old faithful Alamo and paid a bit more in the beginning. You get what you pay for!

Fort Worth, TX
reviews: 23
10. Re: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida

Correction: compact car - Ford Focus or similar...

Reply to: Car rentals Fort Myers Florida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers